Peter Stephenson wrote: > Sven Wischnowsky wrote: > > > > If you have a file `Maße', this appears in a completion list as > > `Ma\M-_e' since metafied characters are treated specially. > > > > I vaguely remember a discussion about this but I don't remember why it > > was decided to print them in this way (and I mean metafied characters > > that are printable). Or was this just an oversight? Giving people > > using such filenames what they deserve? > > It was neither, really: it's to do with locales. If your locale says > that scharfes S is a letter, then it appears as a letter in the > listing; if not, not. Arguably there could be some internal way of > by-passing it. I produced an FAQ entry on the subject (q.v.), but > there was some suggestion at the time this wasn't really adequate. Oops, RTM, sorry! > (Surprise: the AIX system here doesn't have locales installed.) Neither has my DU4.0d... > I've appended it as it now stands for convenience. Maybe a simple > option (EIGHT_BIT_CHARS or whatever) to cover standard cases like > ISO-8859-* would be a better idea? Yes, I think this would be helpful. Maybe I'll find some time somewhere... Bye Sven -- Sven Wischnowsky wischnow@informatik.hu-berlin.de