zsh-workers
* Re: Question: completion listing
@ 1999-02-05 10:41 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 1999-02-05 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Peter Stephenson wrote:

> Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> >
> > If you have a file `Maße', this appears in a completion list as
> > `Ma\M-_e' since metafied characters are treated specially.
> >
> > I vaguely remember a discussion about this but I don't remember why it
> > was decided to print them in this way (and I mean metafied characters
> > that are printable). Or was this just an oversight? Giving people
> > using such filenames what they deserve?
>
> It was neither, really:  it's to do with locales.  If your locale says
> that scharfes S is a letter, then it appears as a letter in the
> listing; if not, not.  Arguably there could be some internal way of
> by-passing it.  I produced an FAQ entry on the subject (q.v.), but
> there was some suggestion at the time this wasn't really adequate.

Oops, RTM, sorry!

> (Surprise:  the AIX system here doesn't have locales installed.)

Neither has my DU4.0d...

> I've appended it as it now stands for convenience.  Maybe a simple
> option (EIGHT_BIT_CHARS or whatever) to cover standard cases like
> ISO-8859-* would be a better idea?

Yes, I think this would be helpful. Maybe I'll find some time
somewhere...

Bye
 Sven

* Re: Question: completion listing
@ 1999-02-05 12:44 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1999-02-05 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> It was already there (of course ;-): `setopt PRINTEIGHTBIT'.

Incredible.  I've had this long article on locales in the FAQ for some
time now and nobody, certainly not me, ever found the simple answer.

3.7: How do I make the completion list use eight bit characters?

  If you are sure your terminal handles this, the easiest way is to
  set the option PRINT_EIGHT_BIT.  In principle, this will work
  automatically if your computer uses the `locale' system and your
  locale variables are set properly, as zsh understands this.
  However, it is quite complicated, so if it isn't already set up,
  trying the option is a lot easier.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>       Tel: +39 050 844536
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/

* Re: Question: completion listing
@ 1999-02-05 12:03 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 1999-02-05 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I wrote:

> > I've appended it as it now stands for convenience.  Maybe a simple
> > option (EIGHT_BIT_CHARS or whatever) to cover standard cases like
> > ISO-8859-* would be a better idea?
>
> Yes, I think this would be helpful. Maybe I'll find some time
> somewhere...

It was already there (of course ;-): `setopt PRINTEIGHTBIT'.

Maybe we should put this in the FAQ.

Bye
 Sven

* Question: completion listing
@ 1999-02-05 10:13 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 1999-02-05 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

If you have a file `Maße', this appears in a completion list as
`Ma\M-_e' since metafied characters are treated specially.

I vaguely remember a discussion about this but I don't remember why it
was decided to print them in this way (and I mean metafied characters
that are printable). Or was this just an oversight? Giving people
using such filenames what they deserve?

Can anyone remind me?

Bye
 Sven