zsh-workers
* Re: PATCH: zsh-3.1.5-pws-7: another go at signames
@ 1999-02-09  7:01 Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 1999-02-09  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it> writes:

> There was another, more drastic problem with what Matt had: it
> required you to know all the possible signals, since you never got
> to see the names if you didn't know them already.  That's pretty
> hairy, given the stuff that gets shoved into OSes --- it would have
> needed major additions just for AIX here.

Yes.  I considered this as part of porting zsh to a platform.

> This is pretty much Bart's idea above.  (It still needs the right
> signal.h, but so does every other idea.)

Not my original scheme.  It always gets the right one because it
relies on the compiler to find it, not configure.

The signal.h on a cygwin system can be pretty much anywhere.  On my
machine it is at
/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/i586-cygwin32/include/sys/signal.h.

Also, if the point is to support cross compiling, I don't think the
fixed list of header locations in configure.in will cut it.  It will
likely pick up the signal.h for the host system, not the target
(though, I have to admit I've never cross compiled from one unix to
another -- maybe the same set of headers is typically used?).

It took me a while to figure out that zsh's "kill -l" listed only ZERR
because configure wasn't finding my signal.h.  (maybe I should
consider this part of porting zsh to a new platform!  :-)

> I managed to get an identical signames.c to the one before.  Matt,
> does this fix your problems?

Fortunately, cygwin lets me mount the path mentioned above to
/usr/include.  This lets configure find the right signal.h.

And, what really counts, it creates a correct signames.c!

If we stick with the improved AWK based scheme, I'll add a Cygwin
section to Etc/MACHINES describing how people should create their
/usr/include and that they should do it before running configure.

* Re: PATCH zsh-3.1.5-pws-7: cygwin make fixes
@ 1999-02-08 16:54 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-02-08 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson, zsh-workers

On Feb 8, 11:29am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: PATCH zsh-3.1.5-pws-7: cygwin make fixes
}
} As configure.in contains AC_TRY_RUN statements, it looks to me
} unlikely that the zsh build system supports cross-compilation anyway

I thought that might be it, but:

} - signed to unsigned casting
} - if tgetent accepts NULL
} - if rlim_t is quad_t
} - if rlim_t is unsigned

These four are just testing compiler capability, and can be done without
using the cross-compilation options (though I don't know if they ARE done
that way); and as you point out all but

} - if named FIFOs work

can be turned off (or should be) by specifying no dynamic module loading.
Signals are pretty basic to the shell with or without dynamic modules.

Seems to me it should be possible to do this particular thing with just
the preprocessor, rather than needing to compile and execute a program.
use the awk script to generate a bunch of #defines for every possible
signal in the header, feed that through "cc -E ...." and then awk or sed
the output again to extract the stuff zsh needs.