zsh-workers
* up-line-or-search not working in Zsh 3.1.5
@ 1999-03-25 21:14 Jim Graham
From: Jim Graham @ 1999-03-25 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I'm trying out Zsh 3.1.5 (which, AFAIK, is the latest version), and
have run into a bit of a problem...enough of a problem, in fact, that
I've switched back to 3.0-pre6 (you might say I've missed a few new
versions!).

Specifically, up-line-or-search doesn't seem to work in 3.1.5.  I
can switch to up-line-or-history, but it's just not the same...I
really, really like being able to type fg<UP> and get my last fgrep,
and so on.  :-)

Anyways, by ``doesn't seem to work'' I mean that all it does is beep.
With or without any text from previous commands, it just beeps.

I've grepped through the docs, FAQs, change logs, etc., and I didn't
find anything that might indicate what's going on.  So, it's e-mail
time....

Any suggestions, etc., most welcome.

Thanks,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)          |         |\      _,,,---,,_
graham@tybj2.eglin.af.mil |  ZZZzz  /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_

* Re: up-line-or-search not working in Zsh 3.1.5
@ 1999-03-26  9:23 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1999-03-26  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers, Jim Graham

Jim Graham wrote:
> Specifically, up-line-or-search doesn't seem to work in 3.1.5.  I
> can switch to up-line-or-history, but it's just not the same...I
> really, really like being able to type fg<UP> and get my last fgrep,
> and so on.  :-)

There was a long thread on this back in 1998; you can search the archive at
http://www.zsh.org/mla/ .  The problem is the same as with
history-search-{back,for}ward (about which there was another thread); only
a complete word at the beginning of the line is looked for, so if you
`bin<up>' expecting to get bindkey, you don't.  Nobody liked this behaviour
much (not counting those who loathed it or were just confused by it), and
the current development version includes a patch for it.  (I didn't have
much to do with this, so somebody correct me if I've garbled it.)

If you want to try the latest development version to see if it works the
way you want, and send more feedback if it doesn't, it's at
  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/computing/zsh-3.1.5-pws-13.tar.gz
(there should be a -14 later today, or if there isn't it'll be a couple of
weeks).

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>       Tel: +39 050 844536
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/

* Re: up-line-or-search not working in Zsh 3.1.5
@ 1999-03-26 13:54 ` Jim Graham
From: Jim Graham @ 1999-03-26 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 03:14:47PM -0600, I wrote:
> I'm trying out Zsh 3.1.5 (which, AFAIK, is the latest version), and
> have run into a bit of a problem...enough of a problem, in fact, that
> I've switched back to 3.0-pre6 (you might say I've missed a few new
> versions!).

Thanks to those who have replied.  I've compiled zsh-3.1.5-pws-14 on
one machine (our fastest...compile, test, and decide whether or not
to compile on the slower beasties), and to put it simply, I'm now
starting to compile it on the slower machines.  :-)   I'm quite
confident that 3.0-pre6 is going away soon (as the plain zsh-3.1.5
I found yesterday already has)....

Thanks again,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)          | "Now what *you* need is a proper pint of
graham@tybj2.eglin.af.mil | porter poured in a proper pewter porter