zsh-workers
* Re: accept-and-infer-next-history in path completion
@ 1999-07-09  8:19 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 1999-07-09  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> > This makes accept-and-infer-next-history be treated specially when in
> > menu-selection. It accepts the current match and immediatly starts
> > completion again. So if you have a list of files, place the mark on a
> > directory and execute a-a-i-n-h, you can select files in that
> > directory. Of course it would be nice to be able to go back again,
> > e.g. with undo, but implementing that is a bit more complicated...
>
> It just occured to me, that it is quite useful in path completion. E.g. if you
> have something like
>
> /tools/{share,src}/z/bla-bla-bla
>
> it is nice to hit a single key to accept ``share'' or ``src'' and immediately
> continue completion after that.

That's what I had in mind.

> In this case a-a-i-n-h is probably misnomer ...
> something like accept-and-continue-completion would  be better.

Sure it is. I just had to take what's there.

Bye
 Sven

* Re: accept-and-infer-next-history in path completion
@ 1999-07-09 15:07 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-07-09 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Wischnowsky, zsh-workers

On Jul 9, 10:19am, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
} Subject: Re: accept-and-infer-next-history in path completion
}
} > > This makes accept-and-infer-next-history be treated specially when in
} > > menu-selection. It accepts the current match and immediatly starts
} > > completion again.
} >
} > In this case a-a-i-n-h is probably misnomer ...
} > something like accept-and-continue-completion would  be better.
}
} Sure it is. I just had to take what's there.

I'm a bit (er, a lot) behind on patches ... what's the difference between
this and accept-and-menu-complete?  And if there is a difference, maybe
accept-and-hold would be a better widget to co-opt than a-a-i-n-h?

* RE: accept-and-infer-next-history in path completion
@ 1999-07-09 15:17   ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1999-07-09 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer, Sven Wischnowsky, zsh-workers

> I'm a bit (er, a lot) behind on patches ... what's the difference between
> this and accept-and-menu-complete?  And if there is a difference, maybe
> accept-and-hold would be a better widget to co-opt than a-a-i-n-h?

a-a-m-c accepts finishes the completion of current word and adds _new_ word with
next possible match. a-a-i-n-h in menu select accepts currently selected match
and continues to complete _the_current_word_. In case of multipart ambiguous
completion it makes a big difference:

bor@itsrm2:~%> l /a/p/u/z/*<TAB>
bor@itsrm2:~%> l /archive/pub/unix/z<TAB>
zip/     zmodem/  zsh/
bor@itsrm2:~%> l /archive/pub/unix/zip
zip/     zmodem/  zsh/

If you now press a-a-m-c you get:

bor@itsrm2:~%> l /archive/pub/unix/zip /archive/pub/unix/zmodem
zip/     zmodem/  zsh/

and if you press a-a-i-n-h

bor@itsrm2:~%> l /archive/pub/unix/zip/unzip532.tar.gz
unzip532.tar.gz   zcrypt27.zip      zip22.tar.gz
unzip540.tar.gz   zcrypt28.zip

it assumes, that SELCTMINis set to 0 or 1, so that menu selection is started
immediately.

/andrej

* RE: accept-and-infer-next-history in path completion
@ 1999-07-12  6:25 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 1999-07-12  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> and if you press a-a-i-n-h
>
> bor@itsrm2:~%> l /archive/pub/unix/zip/unzip532.tar.gz
> unzip532.tar.gz   zcrypt27.zip      zip22.tar.gz
> unzip540.tar.gz   zcrypt28.zip
>
> it assumes, that SELCTMINis set to 0 or 1, so that menu selection is started
> immediately.

Err, it does that regardless of the value on SELECTMIN.

Bye
 Sven

* accept-and-infer-next-history in path completion
@ 1999-07-09  7:47 ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1999-07-09  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Wischnowsky, zsh-workers

> This makes accept-and-infer-next-history be treated specially when in
> menu-selection. It accepts the current match and immediatly starts
> completion again. So if you have a list of files, place the mark on a
> directory and execute a-a-i-n-h, you can select files in that
> directory. Of course it would be nice to be able to go back again,
> e.g. with undo, but implementing that is a bit more complicated...

It just occured to me, that it is quite useful in path completion. E.g. if you
have something like

/tools/{share,src}/z/bla-bla-bla

it is nice to hit a single key to accept ``share'' or ``src'' and immediately
continue completion after that. In this case a-a-i-n-h is probably misnomer ...