zsh-workers
* Change of behaviour in history-search-backward ?
@ 1999-09-01  8:19 Ollivier Robert
From: Ollivier Robert @ 1999-09-01  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

In 3.1.5 (the only old version I have here), "history-search-backward" was
looking for the largest pattern but it has changed in 3.1.6 (I don't know
when) and now, it is only looking for the first word.

More details:

Giving the following history:

  389  mutt -f +lists/zsh-workers
  390  mutt -f +sent
  391  trn
  392  trn fr.comp.securite
  393  vi PKN
  394  cd src/perl
  395  ll
  396  gen-ncm PKN
  397  echo $ZSH_VERSION
  398  history|more
  399  mutt

In 3.1.5, doing

mutt -f<ESC>p

gives me

mutt -f +sent

In 3.1.6, it gives me

mutt

Why was that changed and could we go back to the old and expected behaviour?

autocd
cdablevars
completeinword
extendedglob
extendedhistory
histignoredups
histnostore
nohup
ignoreeof
interactive
monitor
numericglobsort
pathdirs
pushdignoredups
recexact
shinstdin
zle

--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- Eurocontrol EEC/TEC -=- roberto@eurocontrol.fr
The Postman hits! The Postman hits! You have new mail.

* Re: Change of behaviour in history-search-backward ?
@ 1999-09-01 11:47 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1999-09-01 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Ollivier Robert wrote:
> In 3.1.5 (the only old version I have here), "history-search-backward" was
> looking for the largest pattern but it has changed in 3.1.6 (I don't know
> when) and now, it is only looking for the first word.

It wasn't and it hasn't.  The actually change was mentioned as a proposal
before 3.1.6, in the documentation for 3.1.6, and in the FAQ.  For the last
time:

- history-search-backward always only searched the first word.  However, in
  earlier versions of 3.1, the logic was changed to avoid dependence on
  flags, so that it only matched complete first words (e.g. comp<ESC>p
  wouldn't find compress).  So Zefram changed the binding to
  history-beginning-search-backward, which does what you want.

- In 3.1.6, history-search-backward has been re-implemented much closer to
  its original behaviour using static variables.  So I restored the binding
  to be compatible with all versions of zsh up to 3.1.something.

- history-beginning-search-backward is still available and you need to bind
  it to \ep to get the 3.1.5 behaviour.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>       Tel: +39 050 844536
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/

* Re: Change of behaviour in history-search-backward ?
@ 1999-09-01 12:30   ` Ollivier Robert
From: Ollivier Robert @ 1999-09-01 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

According to Peter Stephenson:
> It wasn't and it hasn't.  The actually change was mentioned as a proposal
> before 3.1.6, in the documentation for 3.1.6, and in the FAQ.  For the last
> time:

I must have missed that. Thanks for the excellent explanation.