zsh-workers
From: Paul Kimoto <kimoto@lightlink.com>
To: zsh-workers@sunsite.auc.dk
Subject: Re: command-spelling correction strangeness
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 02:14:08 -0400	[thread overview]

[This is a copy of a message sent to Bart Schaefer
<schaefer@candle.brasslantern.com> that I Cc'ed to zsh-workers
before remembering that I was on a ORBS-tainted site whose mail
is rejected by sunsite.auc.dk.]

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 05:39:43AM +0000, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> A change was made about a year ago (zsh-workers/4404 and follow-ups) to
> remove entries for non-executable files from the command hash table.
> This happens only when "autocd" is set, because the only bad side effect
> of bogus hash table entries is that if they're directories rather than
> non-executable files, you can't autocd into them.
>
> However, if you have the hashcmds option set, the rest of the path is
> searched and the correct location gets immediately added back again --
> so you do not set hashcmds.  Am I correct?

[detailed explanation snipped]

Yes (as you may have seen in my "zsh -f" demonstration).  The explanation
is plausible.  I am now a little mystified by the documentation where it
says:

: HASH_CMDS <D>
:      Note the location of each command the first time it is executed.
:      Subsequent invocations of the same command will use the saved
:      location, avoiding a path search.  If this option is unset, no
:      path hashing will be done at all.

(I admit that I have read only the documentation, not the source code.)

> So ... what you describe may or may not be a bug, but the following should
> cause the command table to be updated more intelligently.  I'd be just as
> happy with encouraging people not to use "correct" without "hashcmds" ...

It could be added to the documentation ....

[patch snipped]

	-Paul <kimoto@lightlink.com>