zsh-workers
* Re: optimisations
@ 1999-12-14  9:40 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 1999-12-14  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Adam Spiers wrote:

> Bart Schaefer (schaefer@candle.brasslantern.com) wrote:
> > The last one is a bit unfortunate, but just "compinit" (without even
> > trying any completions yet) adds half a megabyte to the RSS of zsh on
> > my system, and it only goes up from there as functions autload and
> > start caching their results in shell variables.
>
> This reminds me.  Not only does the completion system make the
> environment, and hence memory usage large, but it slows startup down.
> Are there any significant optimisations which can be done?  Maybe
> caching some of the large associative arrays to disk in (say) DBM
> format so that several shells can share them?  I know this is already
> done in .zcompdump ... any others?  (I've been meaning to do this for
> _man, actually.)

Which would slow things down... but I haven't tried so I don't know
how much.

>  I notice that $history gets set to the whole
> history; what uses that?  I have HISTSIZE=5000 so this variable is
> fairly sizeable!

It doesn't really get set to it. $history (and $historywords) are
implement by function which make them look like arrays. Memory is only
allocated for them when they are really used -- and that is heap
memory which will be freed soon. But yes, heavy usage of it may be
slow and expensive... feel free to write a better interface (or
improve the current implementation).

Bye
 Sven

* Re: optimisations
@ 1999-12-16 10:07 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 1999-12-16 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Adam Spiers wrote:

> Bart Schaefer (schaefer@candle.brasslantern.com) wrote:
> > The last one is a bit unfortunate, but just "compinit" (without even
> > trying any completions yet) adds half a megabyte to the RSS of zsh on
> > my system, and it only goes up from there as functions autload and
> > start caching their results in shell variables.
>
> This reminds me.  Not only does the completion system make the
> environment, and hence memory usage large, but it slows startup down.
> Are there any significant optimisations which can be done?  Maybe
> caching some of the large associative arrays to disk in (say) DBM
> format so that several shells can share them?  I know this is already
> done in .zcompdump ... any others?  (I've been meaning to do this for
> _man, actually.)  I notice that $history gets set to the whole
> history; what uses that?  I have HISTSIZE=5000 so this variable is
> fairly sizeable!

One thing I forgot to say: we could easily add a boolean style `cache'
which says if caching should be done in a certain context or
not. Leaving it to the user to decide if he prefers speed or a small
memory footprint.

Bye
 Sven

* optimisations