zsh-workers
* Another yodl 3.0 oddity?
@ 2013-06-04  6:01 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2013-06-04  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I just rebuilt the zsh documentation with yodl 3.00.0 after applying PWS's
patch in 31444.  I then invoked the info browser and jumped to the index
for "disable".

This is what I see (trimmed to 3 lines of context, [] is the cursor):

    -v
          number the directories in the stack when printing.

[]

disable [ -afmprs ] NAME ...
     Temporarily disable the NAMEd hash table elements or patterns.

It appears that the newlines following the findex() and cindex() macros are
being preserved.  This in turn seems to be happening because yodl has been
invoked with the -k flag, which is supposed to be for compatibility with
yodl version 1.  Evidently version 3 has become even more compatible with
version 1 than version 2 was ...

* Re: Another yodl 3.0 oddity?
@ 2013-06-07  7:19 ` Jun T.
From: Jun T. @ 2013-06-07  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On 2013/06/04, at 15:01, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
>          number the directories in the stack when printing.
>
> []
>
> disable [ -afmprs ] NAME ...

Please try using WIDER terminal window so that info browser can
display whole of the status line (the bottom line of the info browser);
yes, this may sound nonsense, but just give it a try.

I guess the index now brings you to one line (not two lines) above the
'disable ...' line (this may be a bug of the info browser).

Next try deleting an extra blank line (line 289) in builtin.yo:

enditem()
          --- this line
)
findex(disable)

and 'make info' again. Now I *hope* the index will bring you to the
correct line (if the width of your terminal is wide enough).

> This in turn seems to be happening because yodl has been
> invoked with the -k flag,

zsh.texi produced by yodl with and without the '-k' option are identical:

$ yodl --version
yodl version 3.00.0
$ yodl -k -L -o zsh.texi -I. -w ztexi.yo version.yo zsh.yo
$ yodl -L -o zsh2.texi -I. -w ztexi.yo version.yo zsh.yo
$ cmp zsh.texi zsh2.texi
(no output)

Jun

* Re: Another yodl 3.0 oddity?
@ 2013-06-07 14:59   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2013-06-07 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Jun 7,  4:19pm, Jun T. wrote:
} Subject: Re: Another yodl 3.0 oddity?
}
} On 2013/06/04, at 15:01, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
} >          number the directories in the stack when printing.
} >
} > []
} >
} > disable [ -afmprs ] NAME ...
}
}
} Please try using WIDER terminal window so that info browser can
} display whole of the status line (the bottom line of the info browser);
} yes, this may sound nonsense, but just give it a try.

I still get different results from yodl 1.31.18 / texinfo 4.7 than I do
from yodl 3.00.0 / texinfo 4.13.  However, I do see that the blank lines
are the same in both, so my first guess at a -k effect was wrong.

} I guess the index now brings you to one line (not two lines) above the
} 'disable ...' line (this may be a bug of the info browser).

Nope, still two lines above.  However, if I make it wide enough to fit
the whole "File: ..., Node: ..., Next: ..., Prev: ..., Up: ..." display
(from the top of the node) without wrapping, then it's only off by one.

However, yes, the misplaced cursor is what caused me to notice the extra
whitespace.

} Next try deleting an extra blank line (line 289) in builtin.yo:

That does help, but it doesn't change the line number in the index for
"disable" (it changes the line numbers for a whole lot of other stuff
that follows later).  So that line number must have been wrong (but it
is off by one in the older yodl output, too).

I think I know what's going on, and it's a change in the info browser,
not in yodl output.  In 4.7, the browser jumps to the node name read
from the index and then does a forward search for the keyword, which
can put you in very much the wrong place (using the index to look for
typeset lands you in the middle of the declare command).

4.13, it appears, reads both the node and line number from the index,
jumps to the node and then moves down that many lines.  That puts you
a lot closer to the right spot a lot more of the time, and explains
why a line at the top of the node that wraps would leave the cursor
in the wrong place farther down.

} > This in turn seems to be happening because yodl has been
} > invoked with the -k flag,
}
} zsh.texi produced by yodl with and without the '-k' option are identical:

That's nice to know, maybe we've fixed up the source enough to remove the
configure case.  Or maybe it's still needed for yodl 2, which I haven't
had a chance to test.

--
Barton E. Schaefer

* Re: Another yodl 3.0 oddity?
@ 2013-06-07 16:47     ` Jun T.
From: Jun T. @ 2013-06-07 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On 2013/06/07, at 23:59, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> That does help, but it doesn't change the line number in the index for

> "disable"

The line number for 'disable' in the index doesn't change, but a blank line
is removed before the 'disable' line in the info file. So I guess the line
number now correctly points to the 'disable' line.

BTW, I found that If I turn off the wrap around of the node header
by 'ctrl-x w' then the width of the terminal need not be wider than 80.

> } zsh.texi produced by yodl with and without the '-k' option are identical:
>
> That's nice to know, maybe we've fixed up the source enough to remove the
> configure case.  Or maybe it's still needed for yodl 2, which I haven't
> had a chance to test.

The '-k' is added to properly format META-FAQ, which does require '-k'.