zsh-workers
From: dana <dana@dana.is>
To: Bruno Bazille <bruno@bazille.fr>
Cc: zsh-workers@zsh.org
Subject: Re: ssh completion on Catalina
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 18:30:00 -0500	[thread overview]

On 31 Oct 2019, at 09:01, Bruno Bazille <bruno@bazille.fr> wrote:
> If I write partial name which doesn’t exist, completion takes 30 seconds
> before error message :
>
> ssh: Could not resolve hostname dlfgkmd: nodename nor servname provided, or
> not known

I don't think ssh actually gets called when just parsing the hosts, so maybe
that's from _remote_files or something? But i still wouldn't expect it to
print out garbage like that.

On 31 Oct 2019, at 09:01, Bruno Bazille <bruno@bazille.fr> wrote:
> Note, today I have 520 servers description in my .ssh/config file

All of the parsing happens in a shell function, so it's possible that with a
complex enough configuration file it might take a long time... but it's hard
to say. I wouldn't expect it to get too slow until it hit like many thousands
of lines. And even then i'm not sure why it would differ between Mojave and
Catalina.

It would be ideal if you could attach the trace file you got from
_complete_debug. You can xxx out the IP addresses, host names, and user names,
if you need to. It's hard to know what it's really doing otherwise. At least,
i don't have any ideas myself.

dana