zsh-workers
* RE: Multiple styles databases RE: list-colors does not work RE: 3.1.6-dev-18
@ 2000-02-14 11:43 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-02-14 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> > > So, you mean to say, that
> > >
> > > zstyle ':completion:*::::default' ...
> > >
> > > is more specific, than
> > >
> > > zstyle ':completion:::::default' list-colors ''
> > >
> > > ???
> >
> > Of course not. The `:completion:*:default' you gave is less specific
> > than the thing currently used as default.
> >

> But I did try the ':completion:::::default'  and it did not work either (and
> still does not work). Hence the question. I think, I mentioned it in my
> first mail.

No, you mentioned `...:*:*:*:...'.

Anyway, works for me now, maybe it's related to the style-sorting
problem just fixed.

Bye
 Sven

* RE: Multiple styles databases RE: list-colors does not work RE: 3.1.6-dev-18
@ 2000-02-14 11:37 ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-02-14 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Wischnowsky, zsh-workers

> > So, you mean to say, that
> >
> > zstyle ':completion:*::::default' ...
> >
> > is more specific, than
> >
> > zstyle ':completion:::::default' list-colors ''
> >
> > ???
>
> Of course not. The `:completion:*:default' you gave is less specific
> than the thing currently used as default.

But I did try the ':completion:::::default'  and it did not work either (and
still does not work). Hence the question. I think, I mentioned it in my
first mail.

/andrej

* Re: Multiple styles databases RE: list-colors does not work RE: 3.1.6-dev-18
@ 2000-02-14 11:32 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-02-14 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> > Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
> >
> > > list-colors completely stopped to work after installing dev-18.
> > I now have
> > >
> > > zstyle ':completion:*' menu 'select=0'
> > > zstyle ':completion:*:default' list-colors ''
> > >
> > > Menu works, but list-colors not. I tried all sort of things
> > (:completeion:*,
> > > :completion:*:*:*:*:*) without success.
> > >
> > > Surprisingly enough, menu select works :-)
> >
> > That's a result of the default style for list-colors, which has a far
> > more specific pattern. See the discussion started by Peter about
> > default settings.
>
> So, you mean to say, that
>
> zstyle ':completion:*::::default' ...
>
> is more specific, than
>
> zstyle ':completion:::::default' list-colors ''
>
> ???

Of course not. The `:completion:*:default' you gave is less specific
than the thing currently used as default.

> And the following is not described in current manual:
>
> - what empty part means. Is "::" the same as ":*:" from the matching point
> of view?
> - does '*' match muliple parts or just anything in current part?

These are just normal shell-patterns. So `::' matches only `::' and
`:*:' matches `:anything:' and a `*' of course matches any number of
parts (I'm not too happy about that last one).

> And why not to use multiple style sets (like multiple resources in X11)?
> compinit or functions could define there own "default" styles and users
> would define "user" style. If style is not found in user database, it is
> looked up in default database. this would completely eliminate above
> confusion. If user sets "catch-all" style - it is always used; else we
> finally fallback to default style.

I think I prefer Peter's suggestion to get rid of the default styles
in compinit and just make them the defaults used by the completion
functions that use these styles.

Bye
 Sven

* Multiple styles databases RE: list-colors does not work RE: 3.1.6-dev-18
@ 2000-02-14 11:16 ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-02-14 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Wischnowsky, zsh-workers