zsh-workers
* Re: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
@ 2000-03-29  9:40 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-03-29  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Oliver Kiddle wrote:

> Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> >
> > I mostly mean the web pages, though, because they could certainly be
> > made nicer (although that wouldn't require moving them to sourceforge,
> > of course); didn't someone lately offer to...
>
> Yes, I recently offered to help with the web pages though what I had in
> mind was primarily ensuring that it remained up-to-date and leaving the
> current lynx friendly layout mostly as it is - I wasn't going to tart it
> up with lots or pretty graphics if that's what you mean by 'made nicer'.

No, I didn't mean graphics. Certainly not.

What I meant was the up-to-date'ness (the `this is coming true no' at
http://sunsite.auc.dk/zsh/about.html has been around since when?),
probably links to Adam's zsh page with the automatically created rpm
files and to Peter's Guide (it definitely is useful already).

And later (when 3.2/4.0 is out or before(?)) we could think about
adding some kind of function repository so that people can keep their
collection of zle widgets, completion functions etc. up-to-date
without having to get the whole tarball every time.

Or something like that...

Bye
 Sven

* Re: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
@ 2000-04-03 16:17   ` Karsten Thygesen
From: Karsten Thygesen @ 2000-04-03 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: zsh-workers

Oliver> Karsten created me an account but I can't get it to work. I
Oliver> can login to it if I use a username of 'opk' (instead of the
Oliver> 'pbk' which was the username Karsten quoted in his e-mail) but
Oliver> I can't do a 'co zsh' command
Oliver> - I get:
Oliver> Fatal error, aborting.  opk@u.genie.co.uk: no such user

I made a quote error - your login is opk as requested - sorry!

Oliver> Does anyone who understands cvs have any idea as to what the
Oliver> cause of this is. My guess is that either:
Oliver> 1. my company 's firewall is getting in the way. Which ports
Oliver>    does CVS
Oliver> use?
Oliver> 2. my CVS installation is wrong. It was done direct from a
Oliver>    debian .deb
Oliver> package by a friend who has a Linux box on the company's main
Oliver> network.  The RS/6000s I generally use for work are on a
Oliver> secure network so I can't try from them.
Oliver> 3. Karsten made a mistake while creating the account. Fairly
Oliver>    possible
Oliver> seeing as he muddled my initials around and may have been in a
Oliver> rush - he said he was very busy.

Well - it was just a quote error.

Oliver> Karsten: if you get a chance, can you check the account setup.

Try:

cvs -d :pserver:opk@sunsite.auc.dk:/pack/anoncvs login
<enter your password>

cvs -d :pserver:opk@sunsite.auc.dk:/pack/anoncvs co zsh

It should work just fine. Do not use yuor email address as login name.

Karsten

* Re: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
@ 2000-03-31 21:31   ` Chmouel Boudjnah
From: Chmouel Boudjnah @ 2000-03-31 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

"Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@candle.brasslantern.com> writes:

> I suspect, and only Mandrake
> is generating anything close to up-to-the-minute RPMs.

not in our freeze stage (two month).

--
MandrakeSoft Inc                http://www.mandrakesoft.com
Pasadena, CA USA                                  --Chmouel

* Re: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
@ 2000-03-31 11:30 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-03-31 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Mar 31,  9:00am, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
} Subject: Re: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
}
} > New shell [/bin/bash]: /bin/zsh
} > Shell changed.
}
} ;-) First thing I checked yesterday morning, too.
}
} It's a 3.0.5 (5? tsk tsk tsk).

That's what ships with RedHat 6 -- it was the current "stable" release
at the time the OS distribution was put together.  SourceForge hasn't
had any reason to install anything newer, I suspect, and only Mandrake

@ 2000-03-31  7:00 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-03-31  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

@ 2000-03-30 21:59         ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2000-03-30 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

"Bart Schaefer" wrote:
> SourceForge also causes problems for Internet Explorer

Yesssss!

I've added zefram as a developer.  Note that developers (there's now
adamspiers, pws, barts, wischnow, zefram) can log in at
zsh.sourceforge.net with the same password as on the web.  Good news!

[pws@orbital pws]$ which zsh
/bin/zsh
[pws@orbital pws]$ chsh
Changing shell for pws.
Password:
New shell [/bin/bash]: /bin/zsh
Shell changed.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk>
Work: pws@CambridgeSiliconRadio.com

* Re: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
@ 2000-03-30 21:29       ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 2000-03-30 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nelson; +Cc: zsh-workers

Dan Nelson wrote:
>Edit your .lynxrc and change the cookie_accept_domains line to read:
>
>cookie_accept_domains= .sourceforge.net
>
>That should work.

That lets it accept cookies from that domain without asking.  That works;
I've experimented with that feature before.  The problem is that I
don't see any way to set the *default* behaviour.  The only way to get
the default to be to ignore cookies, AFAICT, is to use the command line
"-cookies" option, which disables *all* cookie handling, regardless of
the cookie_accept_domains setting.  Thus I can't get the behaviour I
want of (a) accept cookies from specific named domains but (b) ignore
cookies from all other domains.

I'm now experimenting with w3m.  I'm only just beginning to customise it,
so I shan't make any comment yet, except this.  I used to wish that Lynx
would handle tables properly, but now that I've seen the result I'm not
so sure.  Slashdot looks downright *weird* in that multiple column layout.
I'll shut up now (no doubt to the sound of ten thousand geeks muttering
"how could he not know all this time").

-zefram, web curmudgeon

* Re: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
@ 2000-03-30 16:31       ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-03-30 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Mar 30, 10:03am, Dan Nelson wrote:
}
} In the last episode (Mar 30), Zefram said:
} > AFAICS, the only way to have cookie handling disabled by default[2] is to
} > have cookie handling *completely* disabled.  So I normally have cookies
} > completely disabled, and I have to modify my configuration temporarily
} > to use SourceForge.
}
} Edit your .lynxrc

SourceForge also causes problems for Internet Explorer because all the
cookies are for the "valinux.com" domain even though "sourceforge.net"
is the issuing server.  IE won't accept those cookies except on "low"
security setting.  One needs to choose Tools->Internet Options, select
the Security tab, click the Trusted Sites icon, then click the Sites...
button and add https://www.sourceforge.net ...

(I've got Win98 running under vmware on my linux box now.  Pretty cool.)

* Re: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
@ 2000-03-30 16:03     ` Dan Nelson
From: Dan Nelson @ 2000-03-30 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the last episode (Mar 30), Zefram said:
> [1] I use Lynx.  Lynx sucks ass, but for interactive web browsing
> it's far superior to any of the alternatives I've seen, unfortunately.
> AFAICS, the only way to have cookie handling disabled by default[2] is to
> have cookie handling *completely* disabled.  So I normally have cookies
> completely disabled, and I have to modify my configuration temporarily
> to use SourceForge.

Edit your .lynxrc and change the cookie_accept_domains line to read:

cookie_accept_domains= .sourceforge.net

That should work.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com

* Re: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
@ 2000-03-30 14:36 Brian Boonstra
From: Brian Boonstra @ 2000-03-30 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

You wrote:
> Peter Stephenson wrote:
> >> Bart and Sven will presumably want to
> >> register accounts soon so they can join in the fun ...
> >
> >And potentially Zefram if he's got any time/inclination.
>
> As of a couple of days ago, I've got a SourceForge account (cunningly
> named "zefram").  Is there any interface more usable than this web hack?

	Well, you can use anonymous command-line CVS.  Once a developer on a
project, you have shell access, as well as write permission to most or all
of that projects files, and you can use secure CVS.

> [2] Which I insist on -- I'm not prepared to explicitly say `no' for
> every cookie that arrives.

	My version of links lets me choose how to deal with cookies
domain-by-domain.  It avoids a lot of naysaying.

			- B

* Re: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
@ 2000-03-30  2:51     ` Kevin Sullivan
From: Kevin Sullivan @ 2000-03-30  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chmouel; +Cc: opk, zsh-workers, karthy

Chmouel Boudjnah writes:
> Oliver Kiddle <opk@u.genie.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> > >
> > > I mostly mean the web pages, though, because they could certainly be
> > > made nicer (although that wouldn't require moving them to sourceforge,
> > > of course); didn't someone lately offer to...
> >
> > Yes, I recently offered to help with the web pages though what I had in
> > mind was primarily ensuring that it remained up-to-date and leaving the
> > current lynx friendly layout mostly as it is - I wasn't going to tart it
> > up with lots or pretty graphics if that's what you mean by 'made nicer'.
> >
> > Karsten created me an account but I can't get it to work. I can login to
> > it if I use a username of 'opk' (instead of the 'pbk' which was the
> > username Karsten quoted in his e-mail) but I can't do a 'co zsh' command
> > - I get:
> > Fatal error, aborting.
> > opk@u.genie.co.uk: no such user
> >
> > Does anyone who understands cvs have any idea as to what the cause of
> > this is. My guess is that either:
> > 1. my company 's firewall is getting in the way. Which ports does CVS
> > use?
> > 2. my CVS installation is wrong. It was done direct from a debian .deb
> > package by a friend who has a Linux box on the company's main network.
> > The RS/6000s I generally use for work are on a secure network so I can't
> > try from them.
> > 3. Karsten made a mistake while creating the account. Fairly possible
> > seeing as he muddled my initials around and may have been in a rush - he
> > said he was very busy.
> >
> > Karsten: if you get a chance, can you check the account setup.
> >
> > I'm going to get a modem soon so will have internet access at home again
> > so hopefully that will solve a few problems. I can't actually access
> > sourceforge from the company network due to the firewall though I do
> > have an account (opk).

When I was doing this I used these commands to access the CVS
archive..
cvs -d :pserver:kevins@sunsite.auc.dk:/pack/anoncvs login
cvs -d :pserver:kevins@sunsite.auc.dk:/pack/anoncvs checkout zsh

Now you should replace kevins@sunsite.auc.dk with opk@sunsite.auc.dk

This worked fine for me just now...

Kevin Sullivan
kevins@pac-software.com
PAC Software Engineering, Inc.

Phone:      (978) 363-5294
Cell Phone: (508) 523-4295
Fax:        (617) 747-3597

Finger kevins@kevins.ne.mediaone.net for my PGP public key.
Use cell phone during normal business hours.

* Re: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
@ 2000-03-30  2:38   ` Chmouel Boudjnah
From: Chmouel Boudjnah @ 2000-03-30  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: zsh-workers, Karsten Thygesen

--

@ 2000-03-30  1:56   ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 2000-03-30  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Stephenson wrote:
>> Bart and Sven will presumably want to
>> register accounts soon so they can join in the fun ...
>
>And potentially Zefram if he's got any time/inclination.

As of a couple of days ago, I've got a SourceForge account (cunningly
named "zefram").  Is there any interface more usable than this web hack?
Quite apart from the basic interface issues, having to use cookies is
a serious inconvenience for me[1].

>barts and wischnow are now developers in group zsh.  Let me/Adam know if I
>haven't assigned the right permissions.

Can you add me to this group, please?

-zefram

@ 2000-03-30  0:07   ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 2000-03-30  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Peter Stephenson <pws@pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk> typed:
:> Do we want to keep the mailing lists and web pages hosted at
:> sunsite.auc.dk?
:I can't see a good reason for shifting them for now.  It would be quite
:good to have incoming mail forwarded from Sourceforge, which would mean
:people who don't subscribe, but are using Sourceforge, can send messages
:without worrying whether they're in Denmark or California.

The problem here would be with using/keeping mail message numbers.  Karsten
has set up sunsite.auc.dk to keep the same number system we had with
Richard Coleman (math.gatech.edu):  i.e. individual numbering in each list,
and messages to one list don't get message numbers in sublists.  Most
mail software can't do this.  Of course if we don't want to reference
message numbers any more...

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>     Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/
Rxvt Stuff : <gcw@rxvt.org>      Ego URL : http://pobox.com/~gcw/

* Re: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
@ 2000-03-29 14:35   ` Ollivier Robert
From: Ollivier Robert @ 2000-03-29 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

According to Oliver Kiddle:
> 1. my company 's firewall is getting in the way. Which ports does CVS
> use?

2401 for pserver operations.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- Eurocontrol EEC/TEC -=- roberto@eurocontrol.fr
The Postman hits! The Postman hits! You have new mail.

* Re: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
@ 2000-03-29  9:30 ` Oliver Kiddle
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2000-03-29  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: Karsten Thygesen

@ 2000-03-29  7:01 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-03-29  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Mar 29, 12:11am, Adam Spiers wrote:
> } Subject: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
> }
> } Bart and Sven will presumably want to register accounts soon
>
> I've got one; it's "barts" because "schaefer" was taken.

I've got one, too; it's "wischnow" because "puck" was taken ;-)

> } Do we want to keep the mailing lists and web pages hosted at
> } sunsite.auc.dk?
>
> For now, I think so.  Nothing's seriously broken and I fear that trying
> to move it would cause something to become so (not by any fault of
> sourceforge's, but nevertheless).

But in the long run?

@ 2000-03-29  4:32 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-03-29  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 29, 12:11am, Adam Spiers wrote:
} Subject: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
}

@ 2000-03-28 23:11 Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2000-03-28 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Success ...

Peter now has full permissions to everything.  I've set up things
minimally but have no time until Thursday to do anything else, so
Peter, if you want to take over feel free.  Otherwise I'll start
setting up the repository then.  Bart and Sven will presumably want to

----- Forwarded message from noreply@sourceforge.net -----

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:38:44 -0800
To: adam@spiers.net
Subject: SourceForge Project Approved
From: noreply@sourceforge.net

Your project registration for SourceForge has been approved.

Project Full Name:  zsh
Project Unix Name:  zsh
CVS Server:         cvs.zsh.sourceforge.net
Shell/Web Server:   zsh.sourceforge.net

Your DNS will take up to a day to become active on our site. Your shell
accounts will become active at the next 6-hour cron update. While
waiting for your DNS to resolve, you may try shelling into
shell1.sourceforge.net and pointing CVS to cvs1.sourceforge.net.

If after six hours your shell accounts still do not work, please
open a support ticket so that we may take a look at the problem.
Please note that all shell accounts are closed to telnet and only
work with SSH1.

Your web site is accessible through your shell account. Directory
information will be displayed immediately after logging in.

Please take some time to read the site documentation about project
administration. If you visit your own project page in SourceForge
while logged in, you will find additional menu functions to your left
labeled "Project Administrator".

We highly suggest that you now visit SourceForge and create a public
description for your project. This can be done by visiting your project
page while logged in, and selecting 'Project Admin' from the menus
on the left.

Enjoy the system, and please tell others about SourceForge. Let us know
if there is anything we can do to help you.

 -- the SourceForge crew

----- End forwarded message -----

* Re: SourceForge Project Approved (fwd)
@ 2000-03-28 20:57 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2000-03-28 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Spiers wrote:
> Peter now has full permissions to everything.  I've set up things
> minimally but have no time until Thursday to do anything else, so
> Peter, if you want to take over feel free.  Otherwise I'll start
> setting up the repository then.

Yes, please, that would be great.  I'll update the CVS stuff when it's in
place (I'm assuming you have the transfer of Tanaka Akira's backnumbers in
hand).