zsh-workers
* Re: zsh license preventing move to sourceforge.net? (fwd)
@ 2000-03-26  0:50 Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2000-03-26  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

----- Forwarded message from Drew Streib <ds@varesearch.com> -----

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:05:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Drew Streib <ds@varesearch.com>
To: Adam Spiers <adam@spiers.net>
Cc: dtype@users.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: zsh license preventing move to SF?

I've looked at this and it doesn't appear to conflict with any part of the
OSI definition. I would approve the license on this. :)

-drew

-------
Drew Streib <d@valinux.com> 408.542.5725

Sr Developer, Community Liason, SourceForge | <dtype@sourceforge.net>
System Administrator, Linux International   | <dtype@li.org>
Information Architect, VA Linux Systems     | <dtype@valinux.com>
Admirer, Occasional Programmer, Linux.com   | <dtype@linux.com>

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Adam Spiers wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I sent this question to dlb but got no response.  Maybe
> you're a more suitable victim ;-)
>
> The zsh developers would like to move our codebase to
> sourceforge.  However, while zsh is released under a license
> entirely within the spirit of free software (similar to the
> GPL, see below), it's not technically OSI approved.  Would
> this be a problem?  A swift response would be most
> appreciated!
>
> Adam
>
> #
> # Copyright (c) 1995-1997 Richard Coleman
> # All rights reserved.
> #
> # Permission is hereby granted, without written agreement
> and without
> # license or royalty fees, to use, copy, modify, and
> distribute this
> # software and to distribute modified versions of this
> software for any
> # purpose, provided that the above copyright notice and the
> following
> # two paragraphs appear in all copies of this software.
> #
> # In no event shall Richard Coleman or the Zsh Development
> Group be liable
> # to any party for direct, indirect, special, incidental, or
> consequential
> # damages arising out of the use of this software and its
> documentation,
> # even if Richard Coleman and the Zsh Development Group have
> been advised of
> # the possibility of such damage.
> #
> # Richard Coleman and the Zsh Development Group specifically
> disclaim any
> # warranties, including, but not limited to, the implied
> warranties of
> # merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.  The
> software
> # provided hereunder is on an "as is" basis, and Richard
> Coleman and the
> # Zsh Development Group have no obligation to provide
> maintenance,
> # support, updates, enhancements, or modifications.
> #

----- End forwarded message -----

* sourceforge.net CVS tree ready for use
@ 2000-04-02 14:06 dmeyer
From: dmeyer @ 2000-04-02 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

In article <000201bf9c8b$a6655830$21c9ca95@mow.siemens.ru> you write:
> I successfully checked out and compiled Zsh from CVS. Congratulations!
>
> Offtopic: anybody knows, how to find out, what branch was checked out?
> And the date? I mean, now, when reporting problems, we need some way to
> refer to "CVS branch xxx checked out/updated at yyy"

status -v <filename> will tell you if there is a sticky tag -
including sticky branch tag - or sticky date for a particular file.
It's pretty much up to you not to do anything foolish like check out
different files from different branches.

For the "checked out/updated at yyy" problem, I think the best
solution is for most people to use labeled versions, which shouldn't
be too onerous as long as folks are smart about creating new (and
cleaning up old and useless) labels.

--
David M. Meyer
dmeyer0@bellatlantic.net