zsh-workers
* [3.1.6-dev-22/CVS] Anyone with HP-UX 11.00 and dynamic loading ?
@ 2000-04-19 14:56 Ollivier Robert
From: Ollivier Robert @ 2000-04-19 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I'm trying to compile the latest version from the CVS repository. Zsh
tries to compile the dynamic modules but it fails because at lease for
complist, it needs a shared version of libtermcap, which my machine doesn't
have...

        rm -f complist.sl
        ld  -s -b -o complist.sl   complist..o   -lnsl -ltermcap -lm -lc
ld: DP relative code in file /usr/lib/libtermcap.a(tputs.o) - shared library must be position
    independent.  Use +z or +Z to recompile.
*** Error exit code 1

Has anyone a solution (trying to compile complist static ?) ?
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- Eurocontrol EEC/TEC -=- roberto@eurocontrol.fr
The Postman hits! The Postman hits! You have new mail.

* Re: [3.1.6-dev-22/CVS] Anyone with HP-UX 11.00 and dynamic loading ?
@ 2000-04-19 15:08 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2000-04-19 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

>         ld  -s -b -o complist.sl   complist..o   -lnsl -ltermcap -lm -lc
> ld: DP relative code in file /usr/lib/libtermcap.a(tputs.o) - shared library
> must be position
>     independent.  Use +z or +Z to recompile.
>
> Has anyone a solution (trying to compile complist static ?) ?

You could try linking instead against -lcurses: they sometimes have the
same functions.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@cambridgesiliconradio.com>
Cambridge Silicon Radio, Unit 300, Science Park, Milton Road,

* RE: [3.1.6-dev-22/CVS] Anyone with HP-UX 11.00 and dynamic loading ?
@ 2000-04-19 15:13   ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-04-19 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson, Zsh hackers list

> You could try linking instead against -lcurses: they
> sometimes have the
> same functions.

Dunno about HP-UX, but here termcap and curses are hardlinks. And Zsh's
configure prefers termcap anyway.

-andrej

* Re: [3.1.6-dev-22/CVS] Anyone with HP-UX 11.00 and dynamic loading ?
@ 2000-04-19 15:57   ` Ollivier Robert
From: Ollivier Robert @ 2000-04-19 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

According to Peter Stephenson:
> You could try linking instead against -lcurses: they sometimes have the
> same functions.

I tried the following patch but it doesn't seem to be enough. It links but
can't find any termcap insformation afterwards, leading to a rather
unusable shell :-(

201 [17:52] roberto@phoenix:src/zsh> export TERM=xterm
zsh: can't find termcap info for xterm

Any other idea anyone ?

*** configure.in.old	Wed Apr 19 10:36:52 2000
--- configure.in	Wed Apr 19 17:16:04 2000
***************
*** 512,518 ****
  dnl Prefer BSD termcap library to SysV curses library, except on certain
  dnl versions of AIX and HP-UX.
  case "$host_os" in
!   aix*|hpux10.*) termcap_curses_order="curses ncurses termcap" ;;
    *)             termcap_curses_order="termcap curses ncurses" ;;
  esac

--- 512,518 ----
  dnl Prefer BSD termcap library to SysV curses library, except on certain
  dnl versions of AIX and HP-UX.
  case "$host_os" in
!   aix*|hpux10.*|hpux11.*) termcap_curses_order="curses ncurses termcap" ;;

@ 2000-04-19 15:12 ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-04-19 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Wischnowsky, zsh-workers

> Dunno, shouldn't complist be taking the termcap stuff from the
> libtermcap.a that is linked into the core? Like all other modules.

Unforunately, all other modules are linked against $LIBS as well. The
problem is, there is fair number of systems out there that do not have
dynamic version of this or that library. Damn, even libc is splitted in
static and dynamic part on our system! So, even if zsh executable is
linked against all librraies, it won't link in all needed symbols -
because zsh executable itself does not use them. For this reason all
modules are linked against all libraries - that may or may not work with
statis/dynamic mix. It surprisingly works on one system here - but fails
on other.

One solution _may_be_ - link zsh executable with all libraries, force
linker to import the whole static library(ies) and export all symbols
for dynamic loading. Of course, this mean, the size of /bin/zsh will
slightly increase ... and even this may fail in case libraries should
come in defined order (as is the case here, damn it again).

-andrej

* Re: [3.1.6-dev-22/CVS] Anyone with HP-UX 11.00 and dynamic loading ?
@ 2000-04-19 15:03 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-04-19 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Ollivier Robert wrote:

> I'm trying to compile the latest version from the CVS repository. Zsh
> tries to compile the dynamic modules but it fails because at lease for
> complist, it needs a shared version of libtermcap, which my machine doesn't
> have...

Bad news, but... complist doesn't do anything zle and complete don't
do, too. And complist is already treated the same as zle and complete,
as far as I can see.

>         rm -f complist.sl
>         ld  -s -b -o complist.sl   complist..o   -lnsl -ltermcap -lm -lc
> ld: DP relative code in file /usr/lib/libtermcap.a(tputs.o) - shared library must be position
>     independent.  Use +z or +Z to recompile.
> *** Error exit code 1
>
> Has anyone a solution (trying to compile complist static ?) ?

Dunno, shouldn't complist be taking the termcap stuff from the
libtermcap.a that is linked into the core? Like all other modules.

Bye
 Sven