zsh-workers
* build problem with new texi2html
@ 2000-06-19 14:25 Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2000-06-19 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I compiled a snapshot of today's CVS tree in order to test _dpkg and zmv;
unfortunately, I've upgraded to texi2html 1.62.1 from 1.56k, and it broke.

Seems that     -expandinfo    : use @ifinfo sections, not @iftex
has changed to   -expand [info,tex]     : expand info/tex sections

So I just added a space to Doc/Makefile.in and it didn't choke, but it
did spew this:

texi2html -expand info -split_chapter ./zsh.texi
*** Duplicate node found: Files
*** Duplicate node found: Description
*** Duplicate node found: Description
*** Duplicate node found: Description
*** Duplicate node found: Examples
*** Duplicate node found: Description
*** Duplicate node found: Functions
*** Duplicate node found: Overview
*** Duplicate node found: Description
*** Duplicate node found: Description
*** Duplicate node found: Parameters
*** Duplicate node found: Functions
*** Duplicate node found: Description
*** Duplicate node found: Completion

* Re: build problem with new texi2html
@ 2000-06-19 16:13 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-06-19 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clint Adams, zsh-workers

On Jun 19, 10:25am, Clint Adams wrote:
} Subject: build problem with new texi2html
}
} Seems that     -expandinfo    : use @ifinfo sections, not @iftex
} has changed to   -expand [info,tex]     : expand info/tex sections

Yeah, we reported that to the makeinfo maintainers and they apologized and
said it was supposed to have remained backwards-compatible.  The variant
without the space is going to return in a future patch release.

I'm not sure what that means we should do about it;  There's probably some
kind of configure/make foo that could insert a space if one is needed.

} did spew this:
}
} texi2html -expand info -split_chapter ./zsh.texi
} *** Duplicate node found: Files
} *** Duplicate node found: Description
} *** Duplicate node found: Description
} *** Duplicate node found: Description
(etc.)

Those are bogus warnings; they're duplicated subsection titles, not real
texinfo nodes.  I.e., they're only duplicates because of the way the HTML
table-of-contents is created.

Hmm, however, I've never seen the HTML generated by 1.62.1; perhaps it has
changed from using generated numbers as the name= part of the anchors and
is trying to use the actual section titles?   That'd be a big improvement
in some respects, but would introduces multiple anchors with the same name.

* Re: build problem with new texi2html
@ 2000-06-19 16:44   ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2000-06-19 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

> Yeah, we reported that to the makeinfo maintainers and they apologized and
> said it was supposed to have remained backwards-compatible.  The variant
> without the space is going to return in a future patch release.
>
> I'm not sure what that means we should do about it;  There's probably some
> kind of configure/make foo that could insert a space if one is needed.

Parse `texi2html -version' if we can identify the affected versions.
On the other hand, if they're bringing it back soon, it's probably
not worth the trouble.

> Hmm, however, I've never seen the HTML generated by 1.62.1; perhaps it has
> changed from using generated numbers as the name= part of the anchors and
> is trying to use the actual section titles?   That'd be a big improvement
> in some respects, but would introduces multiple anchors with the same name.

Here's a unified diff of 3.1.9 with old texi2html versus today's CVS with
new (grepped for "Approximate Matching").  So I guess the answer is no.

-<H3><A NAME="SEC61" HREF="zsh_toc.html#TOC61">Approximate Matching</A></H3>
+<H3> 13.9.5 Approximate Matching </H3>
-<LI><A NAME="TOC61" HREF="zsh_13.html#SEC61">Approximate Matching</A>
+<A NAME="TOC61" HREF="zsh_13.html#SEC61">13.9.5 Approximate Matching</A>