zsh-workers
* Re: Context-sensitive ZLE
@ 2000-06-22 13:17 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-06-22 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I wrote:

> Ideally, we should probably put even more things into C-code
> (mailcheck comes to mind). But non of this before 4.0, of course.

That should have been `shell code', of course.

And I forgot to point out: we would also need a way to get the
completion system's context in normal widgets. That's another thing
I've been thinking about for a long time -- remember the `discussion'
of `more specific context for the completer style'.

Maybe weave something into the completion system functions that keeps
it from really doing completion but returns the most specific context.
With all those helper functions like _tags, _wanted and the label
functions this could probably be done by changing just a few
functions. That together with a way to get at the basic context
information the completion code gives us in the special parameters...

Bye
 Sven

* Re: Context-sensitive ZLE
@ 2000-06-22  7:13 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-06-22  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> Now that the completion system is able to set up all this wonderful context,
> I'm wondering about being able to use it elsewhere in zle.
>
> For example, I'd like backward-kill-word to stop at dots when I'm editing
> an IP address in an ssh or telnet command, but to delete past dots and stop
> at slashes when I'm editing a file name.
>
> It can almost be done with a completion function that figures out how to
> modify the word and then calls compadd -U, but that doesn't work for e.g.
> transpose-words (or anything else that spans more than one word).

One of my favourite pastimes is currently to think about doing to zle
what we've done to the completion system. I.e. reduce the internals to
the basics (unlike completion, most things are already there for zle)
and then shell functions...

Then we would be able to use as many styles as possible, of course.

(I'm not very happy looking up styles from the C code and have avoided
it until now, because it would defeat functions that define a zstyle
shell function to get at the styles used... and things like that.)

Ideally, we should probably put even more things into C-code
(mailcheck comes to mind). But non of this before 4.0, of course.

Hm, probably not very helpful, this `answer', sorry ;-}

Bye
 Sven

* Context-sensitive ZLE
@ 2000-06-21 17:05 Bart Schaefer