zsh-workers
* Re: Cygwin: really slow screen update in color menu selection
@ 2000-08-04  7:09 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-08-04  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> Just try it in /usr/bin or /bin: ls TAB. There are interesting things:
>
> - first, the list is built in "steps"; it outputs part of the screen then
> delay then another part. Delays happen somewhere in the middle of a word (I
> suspected slow stat() at first, but it does not appear to be it).
>
> - after list is shown, cursor movement is noticeably slow (I was about to say
> "painfully" ...).
>
> May be, it is related to memory management; I have seen reports that bash also
> behaves slow under Cygwin as compared with Unix.

I would suspect slow terminal output handling (especially if it stops
in the middle of a word). Once the list is created and displayed no
(or almost no) memory allocation and freeing is done.

Bye
 Sven

* Cygwin: really slow screen update in color menu selection
@ 2000-08-03 16:28 Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2000-08-03 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just try it in /usr/bin or /bin: ls TAB. There are interesting things:

- first, the list is built in "steps"; it outputs part of the screen then
delay then another part. Delays happen somewhere in the middle of a word (I
suspected slow stat() at first, but it does not appear to be it).

- after list is shown, cursor movement is noticeably slow (I was about to say
"painfully" ...).

May be, it is related to memory management; I have seen reports that bash also
behaves slow under Cygwin as compared with Unix.

-andrej

Have a nice DOS!
B >>