zsh-workers
* Moving functions
@ 2001-04-02 10:59 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2001-04-02 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I'm starting the script now...

Bye
 Sven

* Re: Moving Functions
@ 2001-03-14 11:32 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2001-03-14 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

> But before I start: I don't remember how we decided to do that, lots
> of cvs adds/removes? Or was there a better way? (There was some
> discussion, but I can't find the mails anymore, sorry.)

While I'm sending lots of emails, I think `we' (i.e. Sven) should just go
ahead with adds and removes.  We don't use the history enough to make this
too annoying --- and the history isn't lost, just a bit sequestered.
Bart's idea of a global tag first is sensible.  At the worst, you can then
check out that version of the completion functions and look at the history
from there.

CSR Ltd., Unit 300, Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0XL, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 392070

* Re: Moving Functions
@ 2001-03-14  8:40   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-03-14  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Mar 14, 11:21am, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
}
} cvs add/remove has a problem of not preserving revision history
}
} Alternative way is to directly modify repository

I don't think we have direct access to the repository, so add/remove is
all we can do.

The convention is to put the name of the new file in each removed file's
commit log, and vice-versa.  That means a whole lot of individual commits
rather than one big one, though.

It might also be a good idea to "cvs tag" everything before doing any of
this.  I know Peter has tagged the prereleases, but there have been some
intervening commits.

* RE: Moving Functions
@ 2001-03-14  8:21 ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 2001-03-14  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

> But before I start: I don't remember how we decided to do that, lots
> of cvs adds/removes? Or was there a better way? (There was some
> discussion, but I can't find the mails anymore, sorry.)

cvs add/remove has a problem of not preserving revision history in cvs. But as
long as we do not (really) use it anyway, it is fine.

Alternative way is to directly modify repository. With obvious potetntial
problem of breaking the whole stuff.

-andrej

* Re: Moving Functions
@ 2001-03-14  8:17 ` Ollivier Robert
From: Ollivier Robert @ 2001-03-14  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

According to Sven Wischnowsky:
> But before I start: I don't remember how we decided to do that, lots
> of cvs adds/removes? Or was there a better way? (There was some
> discussion, but I can't find the mails anymore, sorry.)

Don't do this, you'll lose history on these files. The only method for
renames, as we've long seen in the FreeBSD project, is unfortunately
editing the CVS repository by hand and copying the ,v files into the new
location and editing them to remove extra tags.

That way, you don't lose the cvs history but it is messy and you have to
make sure that nobody is accessing the repository.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- Eurocontrol EEC/ITM -=- roberto@eurocontrol.fr
The Postman hits! The Postman hits! You have new mail.

* Moving Functions
@ 2001-03-14  8:12 Sven Wischnowsky
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2001-03-14  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Since I have some spare time, I'd like to make that change to the
completion function directories we've discussed some time ago (and
which Bart mentioned lately).

I think I'll start by writing down again what I consider to be a good
choice, probably writing it down as a script this time to make the
life of whoever finally commits the changes easier (err... why are
you all looking at me?). And allowing all of us to have a look at it
before we make the change.