zsh-workers
* _cvs and .cvsignore
@ 2002-02-28 23:49 Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2002-02-28 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

What is the code in _cvs_files_unmaintained supposed to do with regard
to the contents of .cvsignore?  If _cvs_nonentried_files is ignoring
those files, but _cvs_strict_nonentried_files is adding them, why ignore
them in the first place?  What am I missing?

* Re: _cvs and .cvsignore
@ 2002-03-01  3:19 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-03-01  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clint Adams, zsh-workers

On Feb 28,  6:49pm, Clint Adams wrote:
} Subject: _cvs and .cvsignore
}
} What is the code in _cvs_files_unmaintained supposed to do with regard
} to the contents of .cvsignore?  If _cvs_nonentried_files is ignoring
} those files, but _cvs_strict_nonentried_files is adding them, why ignore
} them in the first place?  What am I missing?

That the || operator is short-circuiting?  _cvs_files_unmaintained will
first attempt to complete files that are neither in CVS nor in .cvsignore
(_cvs_nonentried_files); if that doesn't find anything (||) it attempts
to complete existing directories; and if there are none of those, then
it completes files that aren't in CVS whether they are ignored or not.

I have the feeling I must be misinterpreting your question.  Perhaps you
mean "why bother completing them when cvs won't do anything with them?"
I think the answer to *that* is "principle of least surprise" -- so that
we don't get lots of "why can't I complete this file?  It's right there
in the directory" questions mailed to zsh-users, among other things.

* Re: _cvs and .cvsignore
@ 2002-03-01  3:32   ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2002-03-01  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

> That the || operator is short-circuiting?  _cvs_files_unmaintained will

You're right.  It seems that ALL of the files it was completing
were matched by .cvsignore, and I had mistakenly believed some of them
to not match.