zsh-workers
* zsh 4.0.4 on Solaris 2.6, shared (dynamic) library issues
@ 2002-05-01 21:56 John H. Robinson, IV
From: John H. Robinson, IV @ 2002-05-01 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

i am not subscribed to this list.

anyway, whilst compiling zsh 4.0.4 on a Solaris 2.6 system,

[jhriv@chao:~]% uname -a
SunOS chao.ucsd.edu 5.6 Generic_105181-26 sun4u sparc

i was having a very hard time getting the ``make check'' to complete. i
narrowed it down to the zsh/zpty module not being loaded. further
research indicated that _no_ dynamic modules were being loaded.

eventually, i found the problem in the configure script: it thinks that
the proper flag for shared libraries is a -G, however, for my version of
gcc

[jhriv@chao:~]% gcc --version
2.95.2

    the proper flag is -shared.

when i changed the line:
solaris*|sysv4*|esix*) DLLDFLAGS="${DLLDFLAGS=-G}" ;;
solaris*|sysv4*|esix*) DLLDFLAGS="${DLLDFLAGS=-shared}" ;;

./config.status --recheck was able to determine that no underscore was
required, built most everything as a dynamic module, all checks passed
with flying colours, and my new shell is only 4.0k big.

oh, i did have to temporarily set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD/Src for the make
check to even see the libzsh-4.0.4.so library. once i did that,
everything was great.

i have no idea how to change autoconf's mind about the -G/-shared flag
issue.

-john

* Re: zsh 4.0.4 on Solaris 2.6, shared (dynamic) library issues
@ 2002-05-02  9:54 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2002-05-02  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list, John H. Robinson, IV

"John H. Robinson, IV" wrote:
> eventually, i found the problem in the configure script: it thinks that
> the proper flag for shared libraries is a -G, however, for my version of
> gcc
>
> [jhriv@chao:~]% gcc --version
> 2.95.2
>
>     the proper flag is -shared.

Odd, because we have gcc 2.95.2 on this Solaris 2.6 system (OS is given
by gcc as sparc-sun-solaris2.6) and it accepts -G and produces shared
libraries without any extra effort.  Have a look in the specs file,
whose location is given by gcc -v.  I have some hieroglyphics after
`*link:' which include `%{G:-G}', which I think means `accept the option
-G during the linker phase and passes it down to the linker itself as
-G'.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 392070

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.

* Re: zsh 4.0.4 on Solaris 2.6, shared (dynamic) library issues
@ 2002-05-02 10:21   ` Borsenkow Andrej
From: Borsenkow Andrej @ 2002-05-02 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh hackers list, John H. Robinson, IV

В Чтв, 02.05.2002, в 13:54, Peter Stephenson написал:
> "John H. Robinson, IV" wrote:
> > eventually, i found the problem in the configure script: it thinks that
> > the proper flag for shared libraries is a -G, however, for my version of
> > gcc
> >
> > [jhriv@chao:~]% gcc --version
> > 2.95.2
> >
> >     the proper flag is -shared.
>
> Odd, because we have gcc 2.95.2 on this Solaris 2.6 system (OS is given
> by gcc as sparc-sun-solaris2.6) and it accepts -G and produces shared
> libraries without any extra effort.  Have a look in the specs file,
> whose location is given by gcc -v.  I have some hieroglyphics after
> `*link:' which include `%{G:-G}', which I think means `accept the option
> -G during the linker phase and passes it down to the linker itself as
> -G'.

Actually proper fix would have been to check if we use GNU ld (or GNU C)
as linker and adjust flags accordingly. This has been mentioned a while
back. But I am not sure how to do it in clean way.

-andrej

* Re: zsh 4.0.4 on Solaris 2.6, shared (dynamic) library issues
@ 2002-05-02 13:33     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2002-05-02 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

Borsenkow Andrej wrote:
> Actually proper fix would have been to check if we use GNU ld (or GNU =
> C)
> as linker and adjust flags accordingly. This has been mentioned a while
> back. But I am not sure how to do it in clean way.

I just noticed that Imlib's aclocal.m4 has stuff for this in it.
Copyright (as usual with autoconf material) is nice and simple.
It's 128 kB so I haven't included it.  I'm looking at imlib-1.9.14 from
the GNOME website, see http://www.gnome.org/start/installing/index.php3
for links.  Possibly it's in other GTK/GNOME stuff, this is the first
I've looked at in detail.

@ 2002-05-02 13:52       ` Borsenkow Andrej
From: Borsenkow Andrej @ 2002-05-02 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

В Чтв, 02.05.2002, в 17:33, Peter Stephenson написал:
> Borsenkow Andrej wrote:
> > Actually proper fix would have been to check if we use GNU ld (or GNU =
> > C)
> > as linker and adjust flags accordingly. This has been mentioned a while
> > back. But I am not sure how to do it in clean way.
>
> I just noticed that Imlib's aclocal.m4 has stuff for this in it.
> Copyright (as usual with autoconf material) is nice and simple.
> It's 128 kB so I haven't included it.  I'm looking at imlib-1.9.14 from
> the GNOME website, see http://www.gnome.org/start/installing/index.php3
> for links.  Possibly it's in other GTK/GNOME stuff, this is the first
> I've looked at in detail.

May be we need not go so far. Here is what libtool is using; and if it
is good for libtool I expect it should be good for us as well.

# AC_PROG_LD_GNU -
AC_DEFUN([AC_PROG_LD_GNU],
[AC_CACHE_CHECK([if the linker ($LD) is GNU ld], lt_cv_prog_gnu_ld,
[# I'd rather use --version here, but apparently some GNU ld's only
accept -v.
if $LD -v 2>&1 </dev/null | egrep '(GNU|with BFD)' 1>&5; then
  lt_cv_prog_gnu_ld=yes
else
  lt_cv_prog_gnu_ld=no
fi])