David Gómez wrote [2002/10/02 09:12]: > > > > I created a directory with 100000 files to test the new htree patch > > > for the ext3 filesystem, and found a ¿bug? when I tried to remove all > > > the files. The command 'rm *' gave the error 'zsh: argument list too > > > long'. If expansion doesn't support so many parameters, what it's the > > > supossed way to remove all these files without deleting the > > > directory? > > > > You sure the error wasn't 'zsh: argument list too long: rm' ? > > You're right, that was the full error line. I didn't put the rm because > i thought it wasn't important, my fault. > > > internal shell wildcard expansion has no argument limit. execve() > > does. Either raise your kernel's limit (sorry; don't know how to do it > > on Linux), > > I've been trying to raise some limits, but none of them affect the number of > parameters execve() supports, maybe is possible to change it in linux through > some /proc variable, or a kernel recompilation is needed. > > I just wanted to know if this was a zsh related problem, now i'll look forward > to know how to change execve limits. /usr/src/linux/include/linux> grep ARG_MAX limits.h #define ARG_MAX 131072 /* # bytes of args + environ for exec() */ Hopefully, changing this value and recompiling your kernel will help... Ciao, Thomas -- Thomas Köhler Email: jean-luc@picard.franken.de | LCARS - Linux <>< WWW: http://jeanluc-picard.de | for Computers IRC: jeanluc | on All Real PGP public key available from Homepage! | Starships