zsh-workers
* Linux 2.5 and Zsh bug
@ 2002-10-18 20:59 Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2002-10-18 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers, zsh-workers, zsh-workers, zsh-workers, lkml

When running zsh on a Linux 2.5 kernel, the prompt always has a hash
sign '#' rather than the normal user '$'.  This probably happens because
the shell function privasserted() is returning true for all users.  I
know nothing about Posix capabilities but the zsh code for this looks
suspicious.

Code in question:
/* isolate zsh bug */
#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/capability.h>

int
privasserted(void)
{
    if(!geteuid()) {
        printf("geteuid() is root\n");
        return 1;
    }
    else  {
        cap_t caps = cap_get_proc();
        if(caps) {
            printf("caps = %p\n", caps);
            /* POSIX doesn't define a way to test whether a capability set *
             * is empty or not.  Typical.  I hope this is
conforming...    */
            cap_flag_value_t val;
            cap_value_t n;

            for(n = 0; !cap_get_flag(caps, n, CAP_EFFECTIVE, &val); n++) {
                if(val) {
                    printf("capability %#x is %d\n", n, val);
                    cap_free(caps); /* missing in original zsh code
memory leak */
                    return 1;
                }
            }
            printf("last capability %#x\n", n);

            cap_free(caps);
        }
    }
    return 0;
}

int main(int argc, const char **argv) {
    printf("%s privledged\n", privasserted() ?  "Is" : "Not");
}

On 2.4.18
caps = 0x8049844
last capability 0x1d
Not privledged

On 2.5.43
caps = 0x804a00c
capability 0 is 1
Is privledged

* Re: Linux 2.5 and Zsh bug
@ 2002-10-18 21:50 ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2002-10-18 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: zsh-workers, lkml

> When running zsh on a Linux 2.5 kernel, the prompt always has a hash
> sign '#' rather than the normal user '$'.  This probably happens because
> the shell function privasserted() is returning true for all users.  I
> know nothing about Posix capabilities but the zsh code for this looks
> suspicious.

See this for more info:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=163008&repeatmerged=yes