zsh-workers
* What can we do with the drunken libc?
@ 2002-12-19 16:34 DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2002-12-19 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh

    Hi all :))

    Excuse the subject, it's just that I'm starting to be pissed off
by GNUisms... Let's go to the matter. In the GNU libc 'ldd' script,
we can see something like:

    echo $"Usage: ldd [OPTION]... FILE..."

    Obviously, zsh prints '$Usage: ....', but bash prints just
'Usage: ...'. Why? Well, because as the bash documentation says, a
doubled quoted string preceeded by a dollar sign, will cause the
string to be translated according to the current locale. There are a
couple of shell variables involved, too, TEXTDOMAIN and TEXTDOMAINDIR.

    Well. What can we, zsh users, do? First thing is to use bash as
our '/bin/sh' so all that crappy GNUist scripts work as expected
(there are more bashisms). Other thing is making zsh support those
bashist features. And the most difficult, trying to convince the GNU
people to write portable shell scripts that work with any POSIX or
SUSv3 compatible shell...

    In the interim, GNU people gives me the freedom to use bash, bash
or even bash as my /bin/sh if I run GNU libc. That's freedom.

    Just my 0.02 EUR

    Raúl

* Re: What can we do with the drunken libc?
@ 2002-12-19 16:46 ` Dan Nelson
From: Dan Nelson @ 2002-12-19 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh

In the last episode (Dec 19), DervishD said:
>     Hi all :))
>
>     Excuse the subject, it's just that I'm starting to be pissed off
> by GNUisms... Let's go to the matter. In the GNU libc 'ldd' script,
> we can see something like:
>
>     echo $"Usage: ldd [OPTION]... FILE..."
>
>     Obviously, zsh prints '$Usage: ....', but bash prints just
> 'Usage: ...'. Why? Well, because as the bash documentation says, a
> doubled quoted string preceeded by a dollar sign, will cause the
> string to be translated according to the current locale. There are a
> couple of shell variables involved, too, TEXTDOMAIN and TEXTDOMAINDIR.

Debian simply changes the bang path for ldd to /bin/bash, since it uses
/bin/dash (an ash clone) for /bin/sh.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com

* Re: What can we do with the drunken libc?
@ 2002-12-19 17:06   ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2002-12-19 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nelson; +Cc: Zsh

    Hi Dan :)

> Debian simply changes the bang path for ldd to /bin/bash, since it
> /uses bin/dash (an ash clone) for /bin/sh.

    I have a DIY Linux box, no distro, and I'm thinking seriously
about changing the bangpaths for the bashist scripts. Fortunately,
the autoconf thing works perfectly with zsh (by now...).

    Raúl