zsh-workers
* [OT] I may be off-list for a while ...
@ 2003-09-27  3:15 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2003-09-27  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Sadly, the qconfirm for zsh-workers (and I presume zsh-users) appears to
have gone back to requiring confirmation of every message rather than just
every sender, and on top of that sunsite.dk has abruptly resumed blocking
of DSL IPs so I had to go round-about through another account just to send
back the confirmation for my last message.  I'll jump through one more
hoop so you can all see this goodbye, and maybe someone will let me know
when and if sanity is restored.

I'd be willing to make the effort to avoid sending direct through my DSL,
but I don't monitor my home email continuously throughout the day to see
challenges in a timely manner, and even if I did I'm unwilling to spend
time responding repeatedly.  If anyone is interested in a rant about why
challenge-response is a cure worse than the disease, contact me offlist.

With a sigh of resignation,

-- Bart

* Re: [OT] I may be off-list for a while ...
@ 2003-09-27 20:10 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2003-09-27 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Sep 26,  8:15pm, Bart Schaefer wrote:
}
} Sadly, the qconfirm for zsh-workers (and I presume zsh-users) appears to
} have gone back to requiring confirmation of every message rather than just
} every sender, and on top of that sunsite.dk has abruptly resumed blocking
} of DSL IPs

Well ... if this message gets through then the situation is much better
than I presumed and I must apologize for jumping to conclusions.

Claus Alboege, friendly sunsite staffer, apologized for the unintended
change in confirmation policy, says it has been returned to the previous
state, and identified for me which blocklists sunsite is using.  It seems
that one of those lists is spamtrap-based and the last time my DSL was
reset I had the bad luck to get a dynamic IP address previously abused by
a spammer.  Forcing another reset has gotten me back on an IP that isn't
listed.  I'll still look into other mail routing options, but for the
time being everything is hopefully back to normal.

So, I apologize again for posting while feeling persecuted, and will try
to make up for it a little by answering Raul's latest question.

* Re: [OT] I may be off-list for a while ...
@ 2003-09-28  9:37   ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2003-09-28  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

    Hi zsh people :)

 * Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> dixit:
> Claus Alboege, friendly sunsite staffer, apologized for the unintended
> change in confirmation policy, says it has been returned to the previous
> state, and identified for me which blocklists sunsite is using.

    In fact, I think that sunsite.dk does a pretty good job with
their mailing lists, and they're so kind of hosting this list, we all
zsh users benefit from, so the following must not be taken as an
attack against the sunsite.dk people, ¿ok?

    We have had spam problems (currently solved), access problems
(the qconfirm thing has bitten a few), etc... and I think I may have
a solution. I don't mean that sunsite.dk is a bad list manager, but
we can port the list to another host: elistas.net

    I have a few lists there (a linux one, a penfriend one, etc...),
and I even used this for hosting a list for the enterprise I was
working for. There are lots of features, the lists go pretty well and
the prize is low (and I'll pay it anyway, so this is not an issue).

    If you want, I can answer all your questions about elistas.net (I
think that the information on the website is only in spanish, so...)
and their features, and I can maintain the list and pay for it if you
all want to port it, not now, but at any time in the future), but I
*won't* moderate the list. This should be done by the zsh maintainers
IMHO. Feel free to ask any question about this, and please note that
I'm in no way related with elistas.net, it just happens that I have
some list there for more than three years and I haven't had any
problem with them.

    Excuse me for being repetitive, but this has nothing to do with
the sunsite.dk people, who kindly hosts this list and provide us with
a very good service and make our zsh-experience better. I don't want
to offend you, truly.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736