zsh-workers
From: Vincent Stemen <zsh@hightek.org>
To: zsh-workers@sunsite.dk
Subject: Re: 'pushd +2' rotates rather than extracts
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:35:16 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 02:48:32PM -0700, Dave Yost wrote:
> This is how tcsh works with 'dextract' set:
>
> % dirs
> /tmp/a /tmp/b /tmp/c /tmp/d /tmp/e
> % pushd +2
> 0       /tmp/c
> 1       /tmp/a
> 2       /tmp/b
> 3       /tmp/d
> 4       /tmp/e
>
> That is also how I believe zsh is documented to work (and how I would like it to work).
>
> But here is what zsh does:
>
> 202 Z% echo $ZSH_VERSION
> 4.2.0
> Z% dirs
> /tmp/a /tmp/b /tmp/c /tmp/d /tmp/e
> Z% pushd +2
> /tmp/c /tmp/d /tmp/e /tmp/a /tmp/b
> Z%

It also seems to me it should work the way tcsh does as shown above.
I have noticed that the directory stack did not behave as I would
expect for quite a while and rarely use it with numbered arguments
because of that.  I just have not bothered to take the time to look
closely at what it was doing before now.  Dave pinpointed the problem.
Looks like it moves the entire rest of stack to the top rather than
the single entry like it does when used with no arguments.  It does it
on zsh-4.1.1 also.

--
Vincent Stemen
Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!