zsh-workers
* Musing about zselect
@ 2004-07-02 21:35 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2004-07-02 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

The recent discussion on zsh-users about colorizing stderr has led me to
wonder why zselect wasn't called sysselect and added to the zsh/system
module.

Is it only because sysread and syswrite are available on a wider range
of platforms?

* Re: Musing about zselect
@ 2004-07-04 17:20 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2004-07-04 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> The recent discussion on zsh-users about colorizing stderr has led me to
> wonder why zselect wasn't called sysselect and added to the zsh/system
> module.
>
> Is it only because sysread and syswrite are available on a wider range
> of platforms?

It's historical.  zselect came first, because I needed it.  A sysselect
command would be much more logical now.  Maybe I'll think about moving
it and scheduling zselect for removal.  (However, if you don't load it
you don't get any penalty except a few dozen kilobytes of disk space, so
maybe just marking it as obsolete is good enough.)

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk>
Work: pws@csr.com