On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 11:13:49AM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote: > some time around (western-style) Easter we should probably produce > 4.2.5. This makes me want to get approval on a better version of my history- rewriting patch and get it into 4.2.5. If some folks would take a look at this and let me know: (1) do you like the patch for 4.3.0? and (2) do you like the idea of putting it into 4.2.5 as well. This patch adds the option HIST_OVERWRITE that is off by default. This changes the default history-rewriting strategy to one that uses the name $HISTFILE.new for writing out the history lines, and then renaming it over $HISTFILE when it is done (both actions happen with the history file locked). If the user chooses to set the HIST_OVERWRITE option, zsh goes back to the current algorithm of directly re-writing the history lines to the history file (also while locked). The reason I chose to change the default is that it is safer to not truncate the history file when rewriting it. ..wayne..