On Tuesday 27 September 2005 21:00, Mikael Magnusson wrote: > On 9/27/05, Peter Stephenson wrote: > > Andrey Borzenkov wrote: > > > this fixed history truncation but not strange mangling in completion > > > listing. > > > > There were some bits I missed or got wrong when updating nicechar(). > > This seems to fix most things here, yes, completion listing for sure (sans width calculation :) > but when i look at the history > file, some utf characters aren't saved correctly, but they become > correct when up-arrowing in zsh. Manually entering the same utf-8 code > in the history file seems to not confuse zsh though, but pressing > enter saves the "malformed" entry again. In my case the utf is ¤ˇ, > hiragana shi, 0xE38107. It is saved in history as ¤ŁĄ¤, 0xE38183C2B7. > Zsh saves it metafied. I agree, external representation should be unmetafied; OTOH this is unlikely to depend on UTF-8 support, it is just that those characters are usually unused in 8-bit character sets so nobody has probably noticed this before -andrey PS I am pretty much impressed; finally there is valid usage for UTF-8 encoding in E-Mail. Good bye legacy terminals?