* Peter Stephenson [20070622 22:31]: > On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:04:54 +0200 Frank Terbeck wrote: > > Michael Prokop : > > > Problem: > > > Zsh truncates the zsh history file if you are running out of disk > > > space (AKA ENOSPC). If you don't have any space left in your $HOME > > > and exit zsh you'll find an empty $HISTFILE left. > > Hey, I experienced just the same a few days back. So, I also think > > this should be addressed. > The following detects errors during writing better. If you're writing a > new file it'll leave it wherever it gets to; if you're replacing an old > file it will leave the old file alone. That's about the best we can do. > I haven't tested this on a failure, but it should be better than what > we've got. Verified, works. Exiting shell quits with: | zsh: failed to write history file /home/grml/.zsh_history.new: unknown error 1182546552 and an empty /home/grml/.zsh_history.new file is left. My original /home/grml/.zsh_history is left untouched (no truncating anymore). During a shell session the history file is getting longer only as long as there a free bits left (as you intented to). The error code might be improved though. ;) regards, -mika- -- ,'"`. http://www.michael-prokop.at/ ( grml.org -» Linux Live-CD for texttool-users and sysadmins `._,' http://www.grml.org/