zsh-workers
From: Stephane Chazelas <Stephane_Chazelas@yahoo.fr>
To: Dave Yost <Dave@Yost.com>
Cc: zsh-workers@sunsite.dk
Subject: Re: manual all on one HTML page
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:01:16 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 12:24:41AM -0700, Dave Yost wrote:
> At 07:13 AM +0100 2007-04-30, Stephane Chazelas wrote:
> >On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 05:49:07PM -0700, Dave Yost wrote:
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> There really should be an all-on-one-page HTML manual.
> >>
> >> I tried to look for the exec command using the current divided-up
> >> HTML and couldn't find it.
> >[...]
> >
> >That's the biggest problem with the HTML format.
>
> The one-page format makes simple searches easy using the browser.

Yes, but makes the browsing (reaching the section you're
interested in) difficult.

> Also: the broken-up HTML is nicely searchable with a Google using the "site:" feature, like this:
>   foo site:zsh.org/doc/one-page.html

Yes, we agree that's the problem, you need some external tool to
index your pages, as HTML has not such thing built in.

The index and search are built in "info". I'd agree the "info"
client command is not the best that one could have come up to,
but at least the "info" format makes it very easy and direct to
reach the information you're looking for.

And zsh has completion support (to some extent) for info.

--
Stéphane