zsh-workers
* zsh randomly freezing
@ 2007-07-02  9:14 Ismail Dönmez
From: Ismail Dönmez @ 2007-07-02  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi all,

Recently I got zsh randomly freezing. Like when working in vi it would freeze
and whatever I write doesn't show up in console but if I open another console
and open the same file with vi I can see the new text appended to the file.

Here is the backtrace I was able to get (from a recent CVS snapshot) :

#0  0xa7fc7410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1  0xa7dd980a in sigsuspend () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0x080b92ae in signal_suspend (sig=17) at signals.c:361
#3  0x08089b97 in zwaitjob (job=1, wait_cmd=0) at jobs.c:1213
#4  0x08089dc4 in waitjobs () at jobs.c:1257
#5  0x0806b182 in execpline (state=0xaff3f59c, slcode=4098, how=18, last1=0)
at exec.c:1211
#6  0x0806a672 in execlist (state=0xaff3f59c, dont_change_job=0, exiting=0) at
exec.c:942
#7  0x0806a276 in execode (p=0xa7f98380, dont_change_job=0, exiting=0) at
exec.c:800
#8  0x080833b2 in loop (toplevel=1, justonce=0) at init.c:181
#9  0x08085ddc in zsh_main (argc=1, argv=0xaff3f6d4) at init.c:1347
#10 0x080547a6 in main (argc=Cannot access memory at address 0x8
) at ./main.c:93

I can reproduce this with zsh 4.3.4 and 20070701 CVS snapshot. FWIW I am using
glibc 2.6.

Regards,
ismail

--
Perfect is the enemy of good

* Re: zsh randomly freezing
@ 2007-07-02  9:34 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2007-07-02  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Ismail =?utf-8?q?D=C3=B6nmez?= wrote:
> Recently I got zsh randomly freezing. Like when working in vi it would
> freeze and whatever I write doesn't show up in console but if I open
> another console and open the same file with vi I can see the new text
> appended to the file.

Unfortunately this is likely to be due to some race condition that's
unlikely to be fixable unless we can reproduce it.  Are you saying it
freezes when you start vi, or when you exit, or while you're in vi (when
the shell's not doing anything, of course)?  Is this some well-known
Linux distribution?  If so, it might be worth posting the contents of
config.status to see if something is obviously different.

To get further information regarding CSR, please visit our Investor Relations page at http://ir.csr.com/csr/about/overview

* Re: zsh randomly freezing
@ 2007-07-02  9:41   ` Ismail Dönmez
From: Ismail Dönmez @ 2007-07-02  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Monday 02 July 2007 12:34:24 you wrote:
> Ismail =?utf-8?q?D=C3=B6nmez?= wrote:
> > Recently I got zsh randomly freezing. Like when working in vi it would
> > freeze and whatever I write doesn't show up in console but if I open
> > another console and open the same file with vi I can see the new text
> > appended to the file.
>
> Unfortunately this is likely to be due to some race condition that's
> unlikely to be fixable unless we can reproduce it.  Are you saying it
> freezes when you start vi, or when you exit, or while you're in vi (when
> the shell's not doing anything, of course)?  Is this some well-known
> Linux distribution?  If so, it might be worth posting the contents of
> config.status to see if something is obviously different.

This happens when I am inside vi or when just using the shell, but it happens
randomly. Symptoms are the same, shell freezes can't input anything. But if
you input anything it seems the process running can see the input as in the
vi case. This is with Pardus Linux 2007.2 + glibc 2.6 which I don't think
that well-known yet.

If I can do anything to help debugging it further, please let me know.

Regards,
ismail

--
Perfect is the enemy of good

* Re: zsh randomly freezing
@ 2007-07-02  9:46     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2007-07-02  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Ismail =?utf-8?q?D=C3=B6nmez?= wrote:
> This happens when I am inside vi or when just using the shell, but it happens
> randomly. Symptoms are the same, shell freezes can't input anything. But if
> you input anything it seems the process running can see the input as in the
> vi case. This is with Pardus Linux 2007.2 + glibc 2.6 which I don't think
> that well-known yet.

Are you saying that, while you are editing inside vi, the editor freezes
so you can't edit (within vi) any more?  This doesn't look like a shell
problem; if the same thing happens when you are at the shell prompt as
well as in vi it suggests some strange terminal behaviour.  When vi is
running, the shell is sitting in the background waiting for vi to exit;
that's its sole task.

@ 2007-07-02  9:50       ` Ismail Dönmez
From: Ismail Dönmez @ 2007-07-02  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-workers