zsh-workers
* Something changed about zsh linkage?
@ 2008-08-24 20:58 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2008-08-24 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

For years now I've been building zsh and running it from the source tree
for testing.  I'm used to this meaning that some modules are not loadable
when I run "Src/zsh -f" (because the modules haven't been installed yet).

Recently, however, I've started getting an error I never did before --

schaefer[602] Src/zsh -o noglobalrcs -f
zsh: failed to load module `zsh/zle': /usr/local/lib/zsh/4.3.6-dev-0/zsh/zle.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

-- so either zle has stopped being linked in the same way, or something
is causing zle to [try to] be loaded at startup when it never was before.
I think it's the former but I can't be certain.

I have stuff in my .zshenv to fix the module_path and that still works as
it always has; it's only the behavior with -f that's changed.

Either zle should be static linked, or the shell should not implicitly
load it (or at least not complain when it can't).

* Re: Something changed about zsh linkage?
@ 2008-08-25 16:52 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2008-08-25 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:58:58 -0700
Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> For years now I've been building zsh and running it from the source tree
> for testing.  I'm used to this meaning that some modules are not loadable
> when I run "Src/zsh -f" (because the modules haven't been installed yet).
>
> Recently, however, I've started getting an error I never did before --
>
> schaefer[602] Src/zsh -o noglobalrcs -f
> zsh: failed to load module `zsh/zle': /usr/local/lib/zsh/4.3.6-dev-0/zsh/zle.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm missing something, since if you start up a shell interactively it
should try to load zle, shouldn't it?

However, it's perfectly possible that there's a remaining unwanted
effect of the simplification to the interface to zle I put in.  If you
can work out where you think it shouldn't be trying to load zle but is,
I'll fix it (probably not before the weekend).

--
Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com>

* Re: Something changed about zsh linkage?
@ 2008-09-03 10:35   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2008-09-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:52:56 +0100
Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:58:58 -0700
> Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> > For years now I've been building zsh and running it from the source tree
> > for testing.  I'm used to this meaning that some modules are not loadable
> > when I run "Src/zsh -f" (because the modules haven't been installed yet).
> >
> > Recently, however, I've started getting an error I never did before --
> >
> > schaefer[602] Src/zsh -o noglobalrcs -f
> > zsh: failed to load module `zsh/zle': /usr/local/lib/zsh/4.3.6-dev-0/zsh/zle.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> I'm missing something, since if you start up a shell interactively it
> should try to load zle, shouldn't it?

I just tried this, and I get that message where I would expect to: it's
trying to load zle because it's got to inputline() and needs to load
zsh/zle to read the line since all the conditions for using zle are met:
the shell is interactive, shell input is from standard input, and zle
hasn't explicitly been turned off.

Could it just be the error message is new?  I haven't deliberately changed
that, but part of the aim of the zleentry() change was consistency, and
it's not obviously wrong to show a message the first time you try to load a
module and fail., else it may not be obvious why line editing doesn't work.

* Re: Something changed about zsh linkage?
@ 2008-09-04 14:27     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2008-09-04 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Sep 3, 11:35am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} Could it just be the error message is new?

Yes, that's possible.  I would not be surprised if (previously) zsh
deliberately did not complain about being unable to load ZLE during
startup.