zsh-workers
From: Phil Pennock <zsh-workers+phil.pennock@spodhuis.org>
To: Dave Yost <Dave@Yost.com>
Cc: zsh-workers@sunsite.dk
Subject: Re: trouble downloading [zsh]
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 02:18:57 -0700	[thread overview]

On 2008-08-29 at 23:27 -0700, Dave Yost wrote:
> It's not sourceforge. It's the ftp hosts.

Confirmed.

ftp.rge.com does not exist in DNS; Domain seems to still be owned by the
same folks (Wayback Archive confirmation), so it's just gone.

foad.org/zsh/ gone.

uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu / uiarchive.uiuc.edu gone.  I can't find a trace
of a new hostname.  Amusingly, I can find uiuc.edu documentation still
referring to the service:
  http://opcenter.cites.uiuc.edu/nas/nash/apps/ftp.html

The FreeBSD Ports system just grabs from the SourceForge mirror list.

On http://www.zsh.org/ I see the Netherlands link is still Demon, my
previous employer.  They were bought and although the FTP site still
"exists" it's not the same one; the HTTP interface is gone and the FTP
content is stale.  So ftp.demon.nl should be removed from the list.

I'm perfectly willing to let my Dutch colo box be another non-SF mirror,
in NL, but since it's a box with toys and user accounts that's
contingent upon future releases being PGP signed, "just in case".  I'd
completely understand if the SF mirrors are considered more than
sufficient.

I'm wondering how feasible it is to get a timestamp file updated in the
zsh master FTP site hourly?  mirmon provides great results for those
projects that use it:
  http://people.cs.uu.nl/henkp/mirmon/
(I say this as an end-user, not a maintainer).  I suspect this is a
question for Geoff (Bcc'd).

-Phil