zsh-workers
* cat and sleep as builtins?
@ 2008-09-14  7:17 Miek Gieben
From: Miek Gieben @ 2008-09-14  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: miek

Hello,

I was looking at the dynamically loadable builtins in Bash and decided
to port some of the builtins to Zsh. Sofar I have a simple `cat` and
`sleep`. But before I proceed I want to ask the following.

Is this something we want in Zsh, i.e. have `cat` as a module or
should it be a function? (Might be just as quick to load).

If there is interest I'm willing to port: cat, sleep, head, cut,
with appropriate documentation from Bash to Zsh.

Regards,

--
 --Miek

* Re: cat and sleep as builtins?
@ 2008-09-15  6:14 ` Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 2008-09-15  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miek Gieben; +Cc: zsh-workers

On 2008-09-14 at 09:17 +0200, Miek Gieben wrote:
> If there is interest I'm willing to port: cat, sleep, head, cut,
> with appropriate documentation from Bash to Zsh.

Porting code from Bash to Zsh isn't license compatible.  Bash is GPL,
Zsh is under a BSDish license.  Using Bash's documentation and testing
the behaviour is one thing, but porting the code directly would be a
violation of the Bash license.

-Phil