zsh-workers
* interactive keybinding to abort all input?
@ 2009-09-15 19:40 Greg Klanderman
From: Greg Klanderman @ 2009-09-15 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh list

I seem to have some problem with copying and pasting in X; sometimes
copying from emacs to my shell window results in some previous
selection getting pasted, and when that's several pages of code, it is
really a pain waiting minutes for zsh to finish trying to interpret it.

Seems like Control-C or Control-G should allow me to abort all input
but it doesn't.  Should it?  Is there some way to abort all pending
input to an interactive zsh?

thanks,
Greg

* Re: interactive keybinding to abort all input?
@ 2009-09-16  3:20 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2009-09-16  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh list

On Sep 15,  3:40pm, Greg Klanderman wrote:
}
} Seems like Control-C or Control-G should allow me to abort all input
} but it doesn't.  Should it?  Is there some way to abort all pending
} input to an interactive zsh?

The problem is, I believe, that the input is buffered up by xterm, so
what you need is a keystroke to cause *xterm* to discard all pending
input ...

* Re: interactive keybinding to abort all input?
@ 2009-09-16  3:21 ` Andrey Borzenkov
From: Andrey Borzenkov @ 2009-09-16  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 725 bytes --]

On Tuesday 15 of September 2009 23:40:18 Greg Klanderman wrote:
> I seem to have some problem with copying and pasting in X; sometimes
> copying from emacs to my shell window results in some previous
> selection getting pasted, and when that's several pages of code, it
>  is really a pain waiting minutes for zsh to finish trying to
>  interpret it.
>
> Seems like Control-C or Control-G should allow me to abort all input
> but it doesn't.  Should it?  Is there some way to abort all pending
> input to an interactive zsh?

I am not sure this is zsh fault. It is entirely possible that X terminal
is busy processing selection and starts to act on ^C only *after* entire
buffer has been pushed to child.

* Re: interactive keybinding to abort all input?
@ 2009-09-17 15:22   ` Greg Klanderman
From: Greg Klanderman @ 2009-09-17 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

> The problem is, I believe, that the input is buffered up by xterm, so
> what you need is a keystroke to cause *xterm* to discard all pending
> input ...

> I am not sure this is zsh fault. It is entirely possible that X terminal
> is busy processing selection and starts to act on ^C only *after* entire
> buffer has been pushed to child.

OK, this (unfortunately) makes sense.. and even the xterm 'hard reset'
action does not seem to clear the input buffer, nor do any of the
signals it seems to accept.

thanks,
Greg