zsh-workers
* gsoc?
@ 2010-03-09  1:38 Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2010-03-09  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 01:48:19PM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> If you're trying to get more people to work on the shell, feel free, but
> I've had no luck.

I've been pretty cynical aboud Google Summer of Code in the past, but
maybe this could facilitate some things.

http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforMentors

I'm willing to put some time into this if people think it's a good idea to
prevent Peter from imploding.

* Re: gsoc?
@ 2010-03-09  9:51 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2010-03-09  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

Clint Adams wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 01:48:19PM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> > If you're trying to get more people to work on the shell, feel free, but
> > I've had no luck.
>
> I've been pretty cynical aboud Google Summer of Code in the past, but
> maybe this could facilitate some things.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforMentors
>
> I'm willing to put some time into this if people think it's a good idea to
> prevent Peter from imploding.

:-)

If we can find something that fits that would be great.  I think the
problem might be finding a suitable project that doesn't frighten off
someone unfamiliar with the code.  So things like making completion or
variable handling neater are probably out.

Internationalization is one area that could do with some work.  We've
discussed this in the past:  there are two parts, the main shell, which
is relatively straightforward, and functions, where there's some
significant design work.  I think my last proposal is in
http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers//2007/msg01120.html

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>            Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070                   Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited

* Re: gsoc?
@ 2010-03-11 13:20   ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2010-03-11 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 09:51:12AM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> If we can find something that fits that would be great.  I think the
> problem might be finding a suitable project that doesn't frighten off
> someone unfamiliar with the code.  So things like making completion or
> variable handling neater are probably out.
>
> Internationalization is one area that could do with some work.  We've
> discussed this in the past:  there are two parts, the main shell, which
> is relatively straightforward, and functions, where there's some
> significant design work.  I think my last proposal is in
> http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers//2007/msg01120.html

This sounds reasonable to me.  In order to complete the application,
though, I'm going to need you or another interested party to provide
a "link id", possibly obtained from this URL
 http://socghop.appspot.com/user/edit_profile
to be listed as a backup organizational admin.

* Re: gsoc?
@ 2010-03-11 13:56     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2010-03-11 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:20:09 +0000
Clint Adams <clint@zsh.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 09:51:12AM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> > If we can find something that fits that would be great.  I think the
> > problem might be finding a suitable project that doesn't frighten off
> > someone unfamiliar with the code.  So things like making completion or
> > variable handling neater are probably out.
> >
> > Internationalization is one area that could do with some work.  We've
> > discussed this in the past:  there are two parts, the main shell, which
> > is relatively straightforward, and functions, where there's some
> > significant design work.  I think my last proposal is in
> > http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers//2007/msg01120.html
>
> This sounds reasonable to me.  In order to complete the application,
> though, I'm going to need you or another interested party to provide
> a "link id", possibly obtained from this URL
>  http://socghop.appspot.com/user/edit_profile
> to be listed as a backup organizational admin.

I think I've created a link ID "pws".  I'm known to Google as
peter.w.stephenson (yes, I got in relatively early).

--

@ 2010-03-12  0:07   ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2010-03-12  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 09:51:12AM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> Internationalization is one area that could do with some work.  We've
> discussed this in the past:  there are two parts, the main shell, which
> is relatively straightforward, and functions, where there's some
> significant design work.  I think my last proposal is in
> http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers//2007/msg01120.html

Okay, I've co-opted a huge chunk of this message into
http://zsh.sourceforge.net/GSoC/
which I have submitted as our official GSoC ideas page
(which anyone should feel free to tweak) along with one
hundred thousand feeble essay answers.

We should receive our acceptance or rejection by the 18th.

* Re: gsoc?
@ 2010-03-18 22:36     ` Richard Hartmann
From: Richard Hartmann @ 2010-03-18 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clint Adams; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 01:07, Clint Adams <clint@zsh.org> wrote:

> We should receive our acceptance or rejection by the 18th.

Seems it's a rejection:
http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2010

Pity.

Richard

PS: Beware, you need Javascript for that page to work.

* Re: gsoc?
@ 2010-03-18 22:45       ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2010-03-18 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Hartmann; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:36:22PM +0100, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> Seems it's a rejection:
> http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2010

Yes, we were rejected.

* Re: gsoc?
@ 2010-03-30 18:21         ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2010-03-30 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:45:18PM +0000, Clint Adams wrote:
> Yes, we were rejected.

So I stalked some Google employees and learned that the
issue was with our ideas list.

If we want to re-attempt this next year, we might want to
think of additional ideas, of varying difficulty.