zsh-workers
* `Recent Directories' not included in the man pages?
@ 2010-09-19 17:18 Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2010-09-19 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hello,

today I recompiled my Zsh after some time and wanted to read the docs
about the new cdr function etc., but it seems like the whole section is
only included in zsh.texi, but not in the man pages... is there
something wrong or is it just me? (I looked at contrib.yo, but saw no
problem other than that the heading is much longer than all the others;
but I have no idea about how Yodl works.)

  Štěpán

* Re: `Recent Directories' not included in the man pages?
@ 2010-09-19 18:26 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2010-09-19 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 19:18:19 +0200
Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> wrote:
> today I recompiled my Zsh after some time and wanted to read the docs
> about the new cdr function etc., but it seems like the whole section is
> only included in zsh.texi, but not in the man pages... is there
> something wrong or is it just me? (I looked at contrib.yo, but saw no
> problem other than that the heading is much longer than all the others;
> but I have no idea about how Yodl works.)

It's certainly there in my manual pages (REMEMBERING RECENT
DIRECTORIES).  Maybe your manual search path is finding the wrong
version (that's certainly happened to me before now)?

--
Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com>

* Re: `Recent Directories' not included in the man pages?
@ 2010-09-19 19:02 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2010-09-19 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Sep 19,  7:18pm, ( Text in unknown character set UTF-8 not shown ) wrote:
}
} today I recompiled my Zsh after some time and wanted to read the docs
} about the new cdr function etc., but it seems like the whole section is
} only included in zsh.texi, but not in the man pages...

"make all" at the top level should recurse into the Doc subdirectory and
build the manual pages.  Depending on your $MANPATH, you might also need
to "make install.man" to have the pages become visible.

* Re: `Recent Directories' not included in the man pages?
@ 2010-09-20  3:04   ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2010-09-20  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> writes:

> On Sep 19,  7:18pm, ( Text in unknown character set UTF-8 not shown ) wrote:
> }
> } today I recompiled my Zsh after some time and wanted to read the docs
> } about the new cdr function etc., but it seems like the whole section is
> } only included in zsh.texi, but not in the man pages...
>
> "make all" at the top level should recurse into the Doc subdirectory and
> build the manual pages.  Depending on your $MANPATH, you might also need
> to "make install.man" to have the pages become visible.

Indeed, `make install.man' did it... thanks! Still, it's strange -- I
would expect `make' and `make install' to do the right thing, which they
obviously didn't for me (although I checked the man pages after `make'
and `make install' and their modification time indicated that they were
newly generated, neither those in the respository nor those installed in
my man directories contained the new section. Only `make install.man'
seems to have actually regenerated the manual pages).

Thank you and sorry for the noise

Štěpán