Good morning Frank, *, vcs_info git false-negatives to detect staged changes in a repository that has no commits. Attached a patch for that. The patch includes two variants for computing the "has staged changes?" bit in empty repositories: one via 'git ls-files' and one via git's empty tree. - The output of ls-files isn't O(1), but I tested with a 3000-file tree and didn't notice a slowdown, so I suppose it's acceptable. - 'diff-index --cached --quiet $empty_tree' is an O(1) operation, but I am not sure whether it is forwards compatible with future versions of Git, i.e., whether it's a hack that happens to work or a legitimate use of git's API. WDYT? Daniel