zsh-workers
* Re: zsh 5.0.7 released
       [not found] ` <CAH_OBieFY24--_Ka637pM0g-iKEKLrnz4zXLcWKj9_mx+DKn=w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-10-09 20:48   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2014-10-09 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shawn wilson, Zsh Hackers' List

 Oct 2014 09:55:50 -0400
shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2014 9:56 PM, "Peter Stephenson" <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Version 5.0.7 of zsh is released.  You can get it from
> > http://www.zsh.org/pub and mirrors (see below).  This is a stable
> > release.  There are minor new features as well as bug fixes since 5.0.6.
> >
> > Note in particular there is a security fix to disallow evaluation of the
> > initial values of integer variables imported from the environment (they
> > are instead treated as literal numbers).  That could allow local
> > privilege escalation, under some specific and atypical conditions where
> > zsh is being invoked in privilege elevation contexts when the
> > environment has not been properly sanitized, such as when zsh is invoked
> > by sudo on systems where "env_reset" has been disabled.
> >

> Was this security issue in SSH discussed on the list somewhere (I can't
> seem to find other mention of it outside the readme - not even direct
> mention in changelog or git log)...?

I don't know of an ssh issue,  but the sudo issue was discussed offline.

The original point about sanitising integer imports, however, was discussed
here.

pws

* Re: zsh 5.0.7 released
@ 2014-10-09 22:41     ` shawn wilson
From: shawn wilson @ 2014-10-09 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

Yay cellphone auto correct
On Oct 9, 2014 4:48 PM, "Peter Stephenson" <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>  Oct 2014 09:55:50 -0400
> shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Oct 8, 2014 9:56 PM, "Peter Stephenson" <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Version 5.0.7 of zsh is released.  You can get it from
> > > http://www.zsh.org/pub and mirrors (see below).  This is a stable
> > > release.  There are minor new features as well as bug fixes since
5.0.6.

> > > Note in particular there is a security fix to disallow evaluation of
the
> > > initial values of integer variables imported from the environment
(they
> > > are instead treated as literal numbers).  That could allow local
> > > privilege escalation, under some specific and atypical conditions
where
> > > zsh is being invoked in privilege elevation contexts when the
> > > environment has not been properly sanitized, such as when zsh is
invoked
> > > by sudo on systems where "env_reset" has been disabled.
> > >

> > Was this security issue in SSH discussed on the list somewhere (I can't

s/SSH/bash/

> > seem to find other mention of it outside the readme - not even direct
> > mention in changelog or git log)...?

And I was referring to the zsh readme, changelog, git log.

> I don't know of an ssh issue,  but the sudo issue was discussed offline.
>
> The original point about sanitising integer imports, however, was
discussed
> here.

Huh, I'll look again.

* Re: zsh 5.0.7 released
@ 2014-10-10  1:54       ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2014-10-10  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Hackers' List; +Cc: shawn wilson

On Oct 9,  6:41pm, shawn wilson wrote:
}
} > > > privilege escalation, under some specific and atypical conditions
} > > > where zsh is being invoked in privilege elevation contexts when the
} > > > environment has not been properly sanitized, such as when zsh is
} > > > invoked by sudo on systems where "env_reset" has been disabled.
} > >
} > > Was this security issue in SSH discussed on the list somewhere (I can't
}
} s/SSH/bash/

Did you mean zsh instead of bash?

} > > seem to find other mention of it outside the readme - not even direct
} > > mention in changelog or git log)...?
}
} And I was referring to the zsh readme, changelog, git log.

The paragraph about "privilege escalation" quoted above appears at the
top of the README file.

Change log entry is this:

2014-09-29  Peter Stephenson  <p.stephenson@samsung.com>

        * users/19183: Src/hist.c: handle unlikely error case with
        fdopen() better.

        * 33276: Src/params.c, Src/zsh.h: safer import of numerical
        variables from environment.

The git log is very brief and is the same as the 33276 ChangeLog.

} > I don't know of an ssh issue,  but the sudo issue was discussed offline.
} >
} > The original point about sanitising integer imports, however, was
} discussed
} > here.
}
} Huh, I'll look again.

The first mention of the integer import problem on the list is here:

    http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2014/msg01041.html

--
Barton E. Schaefer

* Re: zsh 5.0.7 released
       [not found] <20141008193835.5d66c0ad@pws-pc.ntlworld.com>
       [not found] ` <CAH_OBieFY24--_Ka637pM0g-iKEKLrnz4zXLcWKj9_mx+DKn=w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-10-11  0:18 ` Simon Ruderich
From: Simon Ruderich @ 2014-10-11  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 07:38:35PM +0100, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> Version 5.0.7 of zsh is released.  You can get it from
> http://www.zsh.org/pub and mirrors (see below).  This is a stable
> release.  There are minor new features as well as bug fixes since 5.0.6.

Hello,

I've updated the website [1] for this release. The commits are in
the public web repository [2] (f4795e, d6e3cb; tag zsh-5.0.7). If
you find any problems/mistakes please tell me.

Regards
Simon

[1]: http://zsh.sourceforge.net/
[2]: http://zsh.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=zsh/web;a=summary