Hi, when evaluating zsh as the new default shell for interactive use it was discovered, that the 'watch' feature doesn't work on Solaris 11.3 and Ubuntu 14.04, 15.04 and probably other modern platforms: 'log' never shows anything and logins/logouts never show up. The root cause is, that the current implementation uses a rather discouraged way to obtain utmp[x] records, i.e. it reads binary records instead of using the POSIX/recommended way, i.e. {set,get,end}ut[x]ent() - similar to getpwent(). To check I just inserted a printf: 1st record seems to be ok but is always of ut_type != USER_PROCESS and all following records read contain really garbage with ut_type = 0 (probably by accident). So no wonder, why it doesn't work as expected. The attached patch fixes the implementation, has been successfully tested on the platforms mentioned above (was developed against 5.0.7, which is, what the vendors of the mentioned OS ship, however, someone on irc reported, that it applies cleanly to the current master version as well). Would be nice if it could be merged ASAP. IIRC, we started to evaluate zsh as default shell 5+ years ago. First test was, whether watch works: it didn't, but had no time to dig deeper, so we stopped and postponed the eval ... have fun, jel. -- Otto-von-Guericke University http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/ Department of Computer Science Geb. 29 R 027, Universitaetsplatz 2 39106 Magdeburg, Germany Tel: +49 391 67 52768