On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 07:45:54PM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote: > OK, I would be a bit surprised if there were any pre-ANSI compilers > still in use. Unless someone tells me they have a SunOS 4.1.1 system > proudly sitting on their desk. Yeah, I mean even in the C89 draft the free() function is required to be a no-op if the pointer is NULL: > 4.10.3.2 The free function > > The free function causes the space pointed to by ptr to be deallocated, > that is, made available for further allocation. If ptr is a null pointer, > no action occurs. Otherwise, if the argument does not match a pointer > earlier returned by the calloc , malloc , or realloc function, or if > the space has been deallocated by a call to free or realloc , the > behavior is undefined. So I don't see any problems with this patch, personally. The only times I have ever seen people use pre-ANSI compilers they were only uses them on pre-ANSI programs; I don't think anyone expects to be able to compile moderns programs with a compiler that old. -- Joey Pabalinas