zsh-workers
From: Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>
To: Jens Staal <staal1978@gmail.com>
Cc: zsh-workers@zsh.org
Subject: Re: best way to disable PRIVILEGED?
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 14:31:27 +0000	[thread overview]

Jens Staal wrote on Sun, 28 Jun 2020 14:10 +0200:
> the zsh executes but with the error: "zsh: error on TTY read: permission denied"
>
> One of the hacks I did was to redefine seteuid to setuid. I am not sure if that
> would be the reason for the error

Set a breakpoint on seteuid and check whether it gets hit.  If it does,
we can take it from there.

> A logical first thing to try however is to follow the instructions in
> zsh_system.h and remove the seteuid hack and disable PRIVILEGED.

I don't see any scenario in which the PRIVILEGED option causes the
error, notwithstanding your hack.  (The only things special about
PRIVILEGED are that it's initialized to true in some cases and that
unsetting it changes the real, saved, and effective UIDs.  Your hack
won't break these.

In fact, I'm having trouble seeing what it _could_ break that zsh
does.  The best I've come up with is launching zsh with different real
and effective UIDs and then running «EUID=$EUID; UID=$UID».  Pretty
sure you aren't doing that.)

Cheers,

Daniel