zsh-workers
* Kali Linux is changing its default shell to Zsh
@ 2020-09-13 22:11 Axel Beckert
From: Axel Beckert @ 2020-09-13 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

Hi,

not the most recent news (about four weeks old), but I haven't found
any mentioning of this in the Zsh mailing lists so far: Kali Linux (a
popular Debian derivative for pen-testing) is switching its default
Shell to Zsh:

https://www.kali.org/news/kali-2020-3-release/

Citing from there:

»Today, we are announcing the plan to switch over to ZSH shell. This
is currently scheduled to be the default shell in 2020.4«

		Kind regards, Axel
--
PGP: 2FF9CD59612616B5      /~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign, http://arc.pasp.de/
Mail: abe@deuxchevaux.org  \ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and Usenet

* Re: Kali Linux is changing its default shell to Zsh
@ 2020-09-14  0:21 ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2020-09-14  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Axel Beckert; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

Axel Beckert wrote on Mon, 14 Sep 2020 00:11 +0200:
> not the most recent news (about four weeks old), but I haven't found
> any mentioning of this in the Zsh mailing lists so far:

Thanks for the heads up.

> Kali Linux (a popular Debian derivative for pen-testing) is switching
> its default Shell to Zsh:

They mention they'll be shipping a custom /etc/skel/.zshrc.  Is it
available online somewhere?  I couldn't find it in their git
repositories.

Cheers,

Daniel

* Re: Kali Linux is changing its default shell to Zsh
@ 2020-09-14  0:33   ` Axel Beckert
From: Axel Beckert @ 2020-09-14  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 12:21:17AM +0000, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> > Kali Linux (a popular Debian derivative for pen-testing) is switching
> > its default Shell to Zsh:
>
> They mention they'll be shipping a custom /etc/skel/.zshrc.  Is it
> available online somewhere?  I couldn't find it in their git
> repositories.

Found it, it's in one of their own base packages, not in the zsh
package:
https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/packages/kali-defaults/-/blob/kali/master/.zshrc

		Kind regards, Axel
--

@ 2020-09-14  2:00     ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2020-09-14  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Axel Beckert; +Cc: zsh-workers

Axel Beckert wrote on Mon, 14 Sep 2020 02:33 +0200:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 12:21:17AM +0000, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> > > Kali Linux (a popular Debian derivative for pen-testing) is switching
> > > its default Shell to Zsh:
> >
> > They mention they'll be shipping a custom /etc/skel/.zshrc.  Is it
> > available online somewhere?  I couldn't find it in their git
> > repositories.
>
> Found it, it's in one of their own base packages, not in the zsh
> package:
> https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/packages/kali-defaults/-/blob/kali/master/.zshrc

Thanks, Axel.

Overall that file seems pretty reasonable, but there are a few things
that should probably be changed (e.g., installing z-sy-h flips the
default value of the KSH_ARRAYS option).  I've reported those to Kali:

https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/packages/kali-defaults/-/issues/2

Cheers,

Daniel