zsh-workers
* miscomputation of total time?
@ 2021-04-30  9:50 Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2021-04-30  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I use REPORTTIME=60, and on a Debian 10 machine (I haven't tried on
others) with zsh 5.7.1, I've noticed that the fraction of second in
the total time (the 2 digits between the period and " total") is not
random as expected: on the 370 runs in the past few months, I get a
value always between 17 and 99. Moreover, values from 17 to 47 occur
much more often than values from 48 to 99 (325 values vs 45).
Statistically, these values should be random between 00 and 99.

Is there an error in the computation of the total time?

Here are the 370 values after sorting them:

17
17
18
18
18
18
18
18
19
19
19
19
19
19
19
19
19
19
20
20
20
20
20
20
20
20
20
21
21
21
21
21
21
21
21
21
21
21
21
21
22
22
22
22
22
22
22
22
22
22
22
22
22
23
23
23
23
23
23
23
23
23
23
23
23
23
23
23
23
23
23
24
24
24
24
24
24
24
24
24
24
24
24
24
24
24
24
25
25
25
25
25
25
25
25
25
25
25
25
25
25
26
26
26
26
26
26
26
26
26
26
26
26
26
26
26
26
26
26
26
26
27
27
27
27
27
27
27
27
27
27
27
27
27
27
27
27
27
27
27
27
28
28
28
28
28
28
28
28
28
28
28
28
28
28
28
28
29
29
29
29
29
29
29
29
29
30
30
30
30
30
30
30
30
30
30
31
31
31
31
31
31
31
31
31
31
31
31
31
31
32
32
32
32
32
32
32
32
32
32
32
32
32
32
32
32
32
32
32
33
33
33
33
33
33
33
33
33
33
33
34
34
34
34
34
34
34
34
34
34
34
34
34
34
34
34
34
35
35
35
35
35
35
35
35
35
35
35
35
35
35
36
36
36
36
36
36
36
36
36
36
36
37
37
37
37
37
37
37
37
37
37
37
37
37
37
38
38
38
38
38
38
38
39
39
39
39
39
40
40
40
40
40
40
40
41
41
41
41
42
42
43
43
43
43
43
43
43
44
44
45
45
45
46
46
46
46
47
47
47
47
47
47
47
47
48
48
48
49
49
50
50
51
52
52
52
52
53
53
54
54
55
57
58
58
58
59
60
60
62
62
64
65
66
67
67
68
69
72
73
77
83
83
85
86
86
87
91
97
99

* Re: miscomputation of total time?
@ 2021-04-30 10:25 ` Vincent Lefevre
From: Vincent Lefevre @ 2021-04-30 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On 2021-04-30 11:50:57 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> I use REPORTTIME=60, and on a Debian 10 machine (I haven't tried on
> others) with zsh 5.7.1, I've noticed that the fraction of second in
> the total time (the 2 digits between the period and " total") is not
> random as expected: on the 370 runs in the past few months, I get a
> value always between 17 and 99. Moreover, values from 17 to 47 occur
> much more often than values from 48 to 99 (325 values vs 45).
> Statistically, these values should be random between 00 and 99.
>
> Is there an error in the computation of the total time?

Sorry, I think that I found the cause. I forgot that the process
in question was multithreaded, with a main thread waiting for the
others (even on this machine with 1 core). A check is done every
second with a "sleep 1", so that I think that the total time is
an integer number of seconds + some overhead.