zsh-workers
* Minimum POSIX standard
@ 2022-10-23 20:19 Clinton Bunch
From: Clinton Bunch @ 2022-10-23 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

What is the minimum POSIX standard modern Zsh code is intended to
conform to?  Is development still trying to support systems that don't
conform at least to POSIX.1-2001?

I didn't really find an answer in the Development Guide

  I find it hard to believe that modern versions of Zsh are expected to
run on 20 year old systems.  Especially since there are un-ifdef uses of
snprintf which wasn't standardized in the C library until the C99 spec.

P.S.  The mailing list archives need a better search feature.  I
couldn't determine if this question had been asked before:)

* Re: Minimum POSIX standard
@ 2022-10-23 21:57 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2022-10-23 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clinton Bunch; +Cc: zsh-workers

On 10/23/22, Clinton Bunch <cdb_zsh@zentaur.org> wrote:
> What is the minimum POSIX standard modern Zsh code is intended to
> conform to?

As far as I'm aware, none.

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: Minimum POSIX standard
@ 2022-10-26  1:51   ` Clinton Bunch
From: Clinton Bunch @ 2022-10-26  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On 10/23/2022 4:57 PM, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On 10/23/22, Clinton Bunch <cdb_zsh@zentaur.org> wrote:
>> What is the minimum POSIX standard modern Zsh code is intended to
>> conform to?
> As far as I'm aware, none.

Don't you think there should be?  The guidelines in the Development
guide are somewhat vague and were apparently written more than 20 years
ago.  (git log puts the first revision at 1999 and the updates seem to
address git usage, typos, and module documentation)

Someone writing new code should have a baseline for what functions and
types can be used without #ifdefs, autoconf tests and roll-your-own
backup functions.  Something more recent than the C89 standard library
with all it's flaws.  Are people still trying to get zsh 5.9 to run on
SunOS 4 or AIX 3.25?

My personal opinion is that development should use at least the
POSIX-1.2001 standard.  It's 20 years old.  That's surely old enough for
any system still running.  (It's  certainly old enough that any such
system is not supported by the vendor)

* Re: Minimum POSIX standard
@ 2022-10-26 20:18     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2022-10-26 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clinton Bunch; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 6:52 PM Clinton Bunch <cdb_zsh@zentaur.org> wrote:

> My personal opinion is that development should use at least the
> POSIX-1.2001 standard.  It's 20 years old.  That's surely old enough for
> any system still running.  (It's  certainly old enough that any such
> system is not supported by the vendor)

OTOH any system not supported by the vendor is exactly one where
somebody might be trying to build their own zsh binary.

That said, I thought we standardized on c99 rather than c89 quite some time ago.

* Re: Minimum POSIX standard
@ 2022-10-26 20:39       ` Clinton Bunch
From: Clinton Bunch @ 2022-10-26 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On 10/26/2022 3:18 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 6:52 PM Clinton Bunch <cdb_zsh@zentaur.org> wrote:
>> My personal opinion is that development should use at least the
>> POSIX-1.2001 standard.  It's 20 years old.  That's surely old enough for
>> any system still running.  (It's  certainly old enough that any such
>> system is not supported by the vendor)
> OTOH any system not supported by the vendor is exactly one where
> somebody might be trying to build their own zsh binary.
Trust me, they're used to the frustration and having to settle for older
versions.  I never could get a gcc version more recent that 4.9 to build
on HP-UX. And that's still technically supported. (Practically OTOH) :)

> That said, I thought we standardized on c99 rather than c89 quite some time ago.
Maybe I missed it, but the development guide kept talking about C89 and
not confusing K&R compilers from what I read.

* Re: Minimum POSIX standard
@ 2022-10-26 20:44         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2022-10-26 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clinton Bunch; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 1:41 PM Clinton Bunch <cdb_zsh@zentaur.org> wrote:

> Maybe I missed it, but the development guide kept talking about C89 and
> not confusing K&R compilers from what I read.

Hm.  I would suspect that just means the development guide is sorely
lacking attention.

* Re: Minimum POSIX standard
@ 2022-10-26 20:48           ` Clinton Bunch
From: Clinton Bunch @ 2022-10-26 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On 10/26/2022 3:44 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 1:41 PM Clinton Bunch <cdb_zsh@zentaur.org> wrote:
>> Maybe I missed it, but the development guide kept talking about C89 and
>> not confusing K&R compilers from what I read.
> Hm.  I would suspect that just means the development guide is sorely
> lacking attention.

I wouldn't be surprised after reading the git log.

I swear though, I did try to search the ML archives for an answer before
posting the question, but the search feature leaves much to be desired.

* Re: Minimum POSIX standard
@ 2022-10-27  7:40             ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2022-10-27  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clinton Bunch; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 15:48:14 -0500
Clinton Bunch wrote:

> I swear though, I did try to search the ML archives for an answer
> before posting the question, but the search feature leaves much to be
> desired.

There's a public-inbox instance on https://inbox.vuxu.org which
includes the Zsh mailing lists. E.g.:

  https://inbox.vuxu.org/zsh-workers/?q=POSIX&o=-1