zsh-workers
* Recent parser changes
@ 2009-08-14 13:42 Vin Shelton
From: Vin Shelton @ 2009-08-14 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

Greetings -

On my Windows XP/cygwin 1.7 box, one of my scripts recently stopped
working with the following message:

MakeNativeXEmacs:136: parse error near '\n'

The line number identified is the last line in the file, so the parser
is running off the end of the file.

Apparently, the offending line in the script is:

if [[ -n $package_dir ]] &&  perl -pi -e
"s@^#XXX=.*@XXX=$package_dir@" config.inc

Commenting out that line solved my problem.  After staring at that
line for awhile, I realized that the "if ... &&" construct was at
least non-standard, if not an outright syntax error; removing the "if"
solved the parse error.

Peter - if memory serves, you made some parser changes recently and I
just wanted to document this behavioral change.

Regards,
  Vin

* Re: Recent parser changes
@ 2009-08-14 13:54 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2009-08-14 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vin Shelton; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

2009/8/14 Vin Shelton <acs@alumni.princeton.edu>:
> Greetings -
>
> On my Windows XP/cygwin 1.7 box, one of my scripts recently stopped
> working with the following message:
>
> MakeNativeXEmacs:136: parse error near '\n'
>
> The line number identified is the last line in the file, so the parser
> is running off the end of the file.
>
> Apparently, the offending line in the script is:
>
> if [[ -n $package_dir ]] &&  perl -pi -e
> "s@^#XXX=.*@XXX=$package_dir@" config.inc
>
> Commenting out that line solved my problem.  After staring at that
> line for awhile, I realized that the "if ... &&" construct was at
> least non-standard, if not an outright syntax error; removing the "if"
> solved the parse error.
>
> Peter - if memory serves, you made some parser changes recently and I
> just wanted to document this behavioral change.

The subject line was "zsh bug in . builtin" and the commit message was
Author: Peter Stephenson <pws@users.sourceforge.net>
Date:   Mon Jul 6 20:44:28 2009 +0000

    27092: missing then-clause for if wasn't an error

--
Mikael Magnusson