zsh-workers
* 3.1.0beta make install problem
@ 1996-12-29  1:56 Tom Spindler
From: Tom Spindler @ 1996-12-29  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

make install calls make install.modules, which has various problems (it looks
like MODULE is misspelled MONULE, but I don't know if that's intentional or
not.) - it does a "for dir in $(MODULE_DIRS); do", but that variable is empty,
and so sh gets pouty.

I'd suggest either removing install.modules from the make install line, or else
putting it at the end of the install: line.

* Re: 3.1.0beta make install problem
@ 1996-12-29  2:46 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-12-29  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Spindler; +Cc: zsh-workers

> make install calls make install.modules, which has various problems (it looks
> like MODULE is misspelled MONULE, but I don't know if that's intentional or

It's intentionally misspelled.

> not.) - it does a "for dir in $(MODULE_DIRS); do", but that variable is empty,
> and so sh gets pouty.

Isn't that $(MONULE_DIRS)?  sh should do nothing in for dir in ; do ... done.
What system do you use?  It seems that you /bin/sh is buggy.

Zoltan

* Re: 3.1.0beta make install problem
@ 1996-12-30  8:04   ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1996-12-30  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan Hidvegi; +Cc: dogcow, zsh-workers

Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
>> not.) - it does a "for dir in $(MODULE_DIRS); do", but that variable is empty,
>> and so sh gets pouty.
>
>Isn't that $(MONULE_DIRS)?  sh should do nothing in for dir in ; do ... done.
>What system do you use?  It seems that you /bin/sh is buggy.

A lot of sh's don't like it.  I've always avoided doing that in
Makefile scripts, including the ones I've been writing for zsh.  There
are two usual workarounds:

list='$(POSSIBLY_EMPTY_VARIABLE)'
for foo in $list; do
done

for foo in .. $(POSSIBLY_EMPTY_VARIABLE); do
  if $foo != ..; then
  fi
done

-zefram