zsh-workers
* Re: Completion function for bitkeeper?
       [not found] ` <1031114171417.ZM2439@candle.brasslantern.com>
@ 2003-11-14 17:52   ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2003-11-14 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh workers

Bart wrote:

> } > Word splitting is vastly different in the two cases.  It happens within
> } > the words of $action in the second case, but does not in the first case.
>
> That's a bit incoherent, let me try again.

That makes more sense now. Not sure I'd describe it as "vastly
different". It would only affect fairly unusual cases.

> In this second case it's a syntax error.  I suppose it could be argued
> that the second case is unnecessary because it's only a shorthand for
> the first case with only one command in the braces.

Do you really think it's worth keeping both syntaxes though given that
it'd be nice to simplify _arguments syntax a little. I'd still be
inclined to deprecate the initial space form but I'm really not so
fussed.

> Also in the second case the eval has been factored out of the loop
> because we're always interested in the entire value of "$action" and
> it's fractionally more efficient to do the "eval" once only.

Though it is fairly rare for label loops to run more than once.

Oliver

* Re: Completion function for bitkeeper?
       [not found] <20031110182013.GA20547@lorien.emufarm.org>
@ 2003-11-10 18:40 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2003-11-10 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Danek Duvall wrote:
> I still maintain that passing in the compadd arguments both on the
> commandline and in $expl is a bug, as it's duplicative, redundant,
> repetitive, and redundant.

But at least it doesn't do the same thing twice over again once more...

About the only alternative is to hold the values in a fixed array or
(preferably) associative array and allow functions to grope around in it.
That would eliminate the explicit expl which crops up everywhere.
However, it would need setting and unsetting for each function where
expl is currently local.  I suspect it needs lower level help to do it
neatly.

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com