zsh-workers
* Re: zsh tips for "UNIX Power Tools"
       [not found]   ` <38C52344.F051AF56@jpeek.com>
@ 2000-03-07 21:15     ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2000-03-07 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerry Peek, Zsh workers

Jerry Peek wrote:

> > Have you decided whether to include 3.1.x features? I can think of a few
> > completion related tips but the old completion system is probably going
> > to go and the new one has yet to appear in a final stable release.
>
> I need to cover whatever version we can put on the CD-ROM with the book.
> I'm not sure when the CD's contents will need to be frozen.  But, in
> this case, because there are new features to describe, the new stable
> release would need to be out before either the book's text *or* the CD
> are frozen.  So I'm guessing we'd need 3.1.x by mid-May.  I haven't
> checked on that yet; do you think there's a chance?  Because this book
> will probably be out for several years before another new edition, I'd
> love to cover the newest zsh if I can.

I hope you don't mind me replying on the mailing list but I'm probably
not the best person to comment on when a 3.2/4.0 release will appear.
The best person to say is our official maintainer (Peter Stephenson) who
is away until middle/late of this month. His last word on the subject
however, was quite recent - in message 9699 on zsh-workers. There he
said that 3.1.7 should appear soon and that 4.0 will need to wait until
a few of the newer features have been tidied up and are more stable. I
can see that happening by mid-May if we commit to a some form of feature
freeze though the real developers probably have a better idea on how
long it might take.

To me it would seem sensible to try to get a new stable release out in
time for the book because any exposure to Zsh can only help in
converting people to it and covering 3.1.x features would provide more
scope for showing features which are really powerful and are unique to
zsh.

Anyway, it'd only be fair if we can come to some conclusion and get a
clear answer to Jerry. 3.1.6 was far more stable as far as I could tell
than many so called 'stable' releases of other software I know so would
it be unwise if 3.1.7 went onto the book's CD-ROM?

Oliver Kiddle

* Re: zsh tips for "UNIX Power Tools"
@ 2000-03-07 22:13       ` Jerry Peek
From: Jerry Peek @ 2000-03-07 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: Zsh workers

[Can I post to zsh-workers if I'm only subscribed to zsh-users?  If not,
Oliver, could you re-post if needed?  And any of you -workers who reply
to the list and want me to see it: please remember to send me a cc:.]

Thanks, Oliver.  I'd be glad to see what I can do to spread the word about
zsh... and having it covered (though not in great detail) in UNIX Power
Tools should help!  As I said, it's still early to know exactly when the
book's next edition will come out... that's something O'Reilly decides.
I also can't guarantee what's going to happen to the book's contents yet
because the editor hasn't reviewed my outline for the third edition -- so
there's a chance (though small) that we couldn't get zsh into the book
or onto the CD.  But I should know about that later this month, I hope.
And I'll guess that O'Reilly and the CD makers should be able to work with
the zsh developers (through me, maybe) to coordinate getting the latest
stable zsh onto the CD.  I'll ask the editor about that (I'm bcc'ing him).

Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> To me it would seem sensible to try to get a new stable release out in
> time for the book because any exposure to Zsh can only help in
> converting people to it and covering 3.1.x features would provide more
> scope for showing features which are really powerful and are unique to
> zsh.
>
> Anyway, it'd only be fair if we can come to some conclusion and get a
> clear answer to Jerry. 3.1.6 was far more stable as far as I could tell
> than many so called 'stable' releases of other software I know so would
> it be unwise if 3.1.7 went onto the book's CD-ROM?

And thanks, also, to the people who've sent tips.  What an amazing shell.

Jerry
--
Jerry Peek, jpeek@jpeek.com, http://www.jpeek.com/