zsh-workers
* terminal parameter changed problem
@ 1998-02-02  3:53 Paul Lew
From: Paul Lew @ 1998-02-02  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Is there a fix for the terminal parameter changed problem?  Some of the
terminal parameters got turned off after executing some commands, in
particular, susp, dsusp, discard, quit, and lnext all got
reset to <undef>.  This virtually shut down the job control ability.

This has been reported before but I did not see a fix for it.
Contraray to what has been reported before, these commands do not have
to be backgrounded.

Right now I define the following alias to get by, but it was so
annyoing because I never know when will they changed.

stty-fix='stty susp "^z" dsusp "^y" discard "^o" quit "^\" lnext "^v"'

I am running zsh 3.0.5 on Digital UNIX 3.2c.

					-- Paul  02/01/98  10:45 PM --

* Re: terminal parameter changed problem
@ 1998-02-02 16:16 ` stringfellow.n.d
From: stringfellow.n.d @ 1998-02-02 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Paul Lew wrote:

> Is there a fix for the terminal parameter changed problem?  Some of the
> terminal parameters got turned off after executing some commands, in
> particular, susp, dsusp, discard, quit, and lnext all got
> reset to <undef>.  This virtually shut down the job control ability.
>
> This has been reported before but I did not see a fix for it.
> Contraray to what has been reported before, these commands do not have
> to be backgrounded.

The previous advice given was to use

ttyctl -f

to freeze the terminal.
However, as useful as this work-around is, it would be nicer to have a
patch,
so ...

http://mason.primenet.com.au/zsh/workers-1997-hyper/0567.html

provides the answer (included below).
This patch was for zsh 3.0.3 but I think that it should work for later
versions - although it's small enough to edit the file Src/jobs.c by
hand.

This patch doesn't appear to have made it into later versions of zsh,
i.e.
it was only ever reported as a patch and slipped through the net when
later
versions were produced.

Patch for tty problem:-

Here is Peter's patch:

*** ./Src/jobs.c.old Wed Jun 4 17:51:43 1997
--- ./Src/jobs.c Wed Jun 4 17:53:39 1997
***************
*** 155,161 ****
}
}

! if (shout && !ttyfrozen && !jn->stty_in_env)
gettyinfo(&shttyinfo);

if (isset(MONITOR)) {
--- 155,161 ----
}
}

! if (shout && !ttyfrozen && !jn->stty_in_env && inforeground)
gettyinfo(&shttyinfo);

if (isset(MONITOR)) {

* Re: terminal parameter changed problem
@ 1998-02-02 16:55   ` Paul Lew
From: Paul Lew @ 1998-02-02 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stringfellow.n.d; +Cc: zsh-workers

stringfellow> This patch was for zsh 3.0.3 but I think that it should
stringfellow> work for later versions - although it's small enough to
stringfellow> edit the file Src/jobs.c by hand.

stringfellow> This patch doesn't appear to have made it into later
stringfellow> versions of zsh, i.e. it was only ever reported as a
stringfellow> patch and slipped through the net whenlater versions
stringfellow> were produced.

stringfellow> Here is Peter's patch:

	*** ./Src/jobs.c.old Wed Jun 4 17:51:43 1997
	--- ./Src/jobs.c Wed Jun 4 17:53:39 1997
	***************
	*** 155,161 ****
	}
	}

	! if (shout && !ttyfrozen && !jn->stty_in_env)
	gettyinfo(&shttyinfo);

	if (isset(MONITOR)) {
	--- 155,161 ----
	}
	}

	! if (shout && !ttyfrozen && !jn->stty_in_env && inforeground)
	gettyinfo(&shttyinfo);

	if (isset(MONITOR)) {

I got the follow (lines 158) for Src/jobs.c (zsh 3.0.5):

    if (shout && !ttyfrozen && !jn->stty_in_env &&
	job == thisjob && !somestopped && !(jn->stat & STAT_NOSTTY))
	gettyinfo(&shttyinfo);

Will this conver the inforeground patch?  Anyone knows?

					-- Paul  02/02/98  11:50 AM --

* Re: terminal parameter changed problem
@ 1998-02-02 17:56     ` stringfellow.n.d
From: stringfellow.n.d @ 1998-02-02 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Lew; +Cc: zsh-workers

Paul Lew wrote:
> I got the follow (lines 158) for Src/jobs.c (zsh 3.0.5):
>
>     if (shout && !ttyfrozen && !jn->stty_in_env &&
>         job == thisjob && !somestopped && !(jn->stat & STAT_NOSTTY))
>         gettyinfo(&shttyinfo);
>
> Will this conver the inforeground patch?  Anyone knows?
>
>                                         -- Paul  02/02/98  11:50 AM --

The patch you have is the final (i.e. best) solution that
was decided on in the thread from which I quoted a one line
'quicky' solution (which apparently still doesn't work in
some circumstances).

You may want to look at

http://mason.primenet.com.au/zsh/workers-1997-hyper/0606.html

and the associated thread for more help. Most of the examples
which 'break' the fixes relate to bg and fg with emacs as these seem
to produce the most problems for zsh tty control.

These patches were not present in the zsh3.1.2beta which I use.